Improvements to the Terrain Editor

Well I feel like sea level can go. What I am saying is that using the fill option will constantly snap to a set amount of studs, and if you try to change it just resets if I recall. I think a fill option is more general and will make sense to more users.

Really, just let us customize snapping / no snapping

1 Like

Can confirm this is happening to me as well when trying to move large terrain - the apply button appears to not function at all at any size, yet live edit for terrain sizes that are applicable to the live edit size limit will still move.

Also @SniperGhostGame

Found the issue, fix will be in next week’s release. Thank you for reporting this, not sure how that slipped past.

2 Likes

You already can customize the snapping, that was in this release as noted here: Improvements to the Terrain Editor - #124 by ProtoValence

You can turn off snapping by turning off the “Snap to Voxels” that you can see in the image below:

We’re bringing Sea Level back, because working with water is not a particularly intuitive flow. Ideally in the future, brushes will interact better with water.

1 Like

awesome, thank you for the quick response!

Oh nevermind, looks like snap to voxels fixes this issue now. Before it would have weird behavior if you changed it manually.

I also wish water was more “cube-like” if you know what I mean.

A lot of times I just want to create a pool with parts and fill it with water, but then you have to fill basically everything around it water otherwise the sides will have weird indents.

Ah, yeah, I know what you mean. The tool does technically produce the correct occupancies on the sides, but they only really seem to affect geometry on the top surface of voxel geometry.

So let us say we create a block of terrain that is surrounded in a surface of 0.5 occupancy voxels. Ideally you would expect the surfaces of this block to extend halfway into the surrounding voxels, because each surface voxel is supposed to be half full. Unfortunately, this seems to really only apply to the top surface in practice, because of the way our meshing algorithm converts the voxels into actual geometry. This works well for oceans and other large bodies of water, but unfortunately, as you have indicated, means you need to adjust the extents to bit a bigger than the space you actually want to fill.

2 Likes

Is there any ETA on extra terrain improvements such as grass height?

1 Like
2 Likes

Alright cool. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Sea Level tool has been re-enabled, but with the new dragger system! We understand that most people use sea level tool because working around water is not optimal and often requires removing and placing it back in. We’ve also kept sea level’s selection separate from the global selection used throughout the plugin.

Just tagging everyone in this thread who has asked about it. @EdisonD316_Jake @ziplocBag @2jammers @Scottifly @IdontPlayz343 @yarik200987111

7 Likes

I just want to make new terrain textures instead of replacing. respect the update though, lovely quality of life features added. really really like the shortcut brush size.

On the Mac, pressing “Cmd” in Sculpt mode changes to subtract, as expected. But pressing “Ctrl” also causes “Subtract” to light up in the side panel, and pressing the left mouse button (with “Ctrl” still held) rotates the camera. I don’t think that’s expected.

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

Using replace tool for water levels was just so tedious, didn’t feel right, and it made it feel like sea level was just tossed away in favour of making the dev experience just that bit harder -_-

:star::star::star::star::star:

2 Likes

Hello everyone, we have officially rolled out this release to everyone! Just wanted to say another thank you to everyone who submitted feedback during our beta phase!

A special thanks goes to @IgnisRBX for updating our creator documentation for Terrain Editor!

4 Likes

Please give us an option to revert to legacy terrain tools or at least provide a way for us to import legacy terrain tools back as a plugin.

Working with this new brush is awful.

The new keybinds for changing brush size/strength cannot be customized. These programs all have ways for you to customize and modify your keybinds/behavior. You need to reach WAY too far to change its size/strength. It was much more comfortable when it was Ctrl/Shift.

Strength is the biggest issue as there is no visual indication of what strength you are at just by looking at the brush itself. You also cannot accurately adjust its strength with ease as strength doesn’t even change with fixed increments. This new brush is a downgrade if anything. It ruins the perfect workflow it previously had.

We also do not even have access to the original code to make our own fork which has our preferred keybinds/behavior. Replacing the files with the old terrain tools code also doesn’t work.

The tools themselves are an amazing amazing, the keybinds and brush behavior that are the issue. I would much prefer using the legacy terrain tools as these issues are a massive deal breaker. It was much better when these new tools were in beta as we had a choice if we wanted to use them or not.

2 Likes

Little bug with the paint replace tool: when replacing textures underwater, some surfaces get these little pools on the top surface

Yup, thats related to this issue here: Cannot paint terrain near Shorelines water in Jailbreak

Unfortunately, this doesn’t have a proper resolution at the moment and you will need to use the sealevel tool to remove and re-add water.

1 Like

Though we really wish we could offer ways of changing shortcuts, Studio Shortcuts do not support this feature at the moment. We’re continuing to look into ways that we can improve the terrain shortcuts while also allowing for new functionality.

By reach do you mean the distance between the B and CTRL/SHIFT keys on your keyboard? The scroll wheel will always adjust in fixed increments, so if you’re looking for precision, it may be better to use that.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.