Cannot paint terrain near Shorelines water in Jailbreak

oof

When painting near water that’s been upgraded through Shorelines, I’m losing the Shorelines look with no way to get it back. I’m forced to undo the change and settle with what I used for materials when upgrading to Shorelines. “Ignore Water” is set to true on the paint tool.

Additionally, this happens if you run a script that swaps the beach material near water to anything else. This is less a tool bug and more a terrain bug.

As far as I know, there’s no way to “Re-Shoreline” the map after painting if you do want a material change.

Expected behavior

Painting near water with Shorelines should not affect how your shores appear. This should be a seamless paint process.

42 Likes

We’re currently investigating this issue. Thank you for the report!

11 Likes

We’re continuing to look into this, that being said, a workaround for now would be to use the fill tool in replace mode. It doesn’t give you the same fidelity as a brush, but should at least get the job done. You can also use the sea level tool to remove and re-add water as necessary and the look and feel of the water should go back to what you would expect.

This issue is unrelated to the recent full rollout of the QoL update, so I won’t be rolling that back. We’ve narrowed down the issue to WriteVoxels which does not take the new WaterOccupancy of voxels into account. Unfortunately this requires some larger changes in order to properly fix, so the above solutions will need to suffice for now. I will respond on this thread once the issue is fixed.

8 Likes

I’m having difficulty replicating this bug with extremely shallow water (less than 1 stud), but was able to replicate with deeper water (+10 studs)

Here’s an example with the Paint tool in shallow water:

And here’s an example with the Replace tool in shallow water:

Here’s the example with the Paint tool in deeper water:

(you can see there’s deformation in the shoreline)

I’m not suggesting this as a foolproof temporary workaround, but when I use Quenty’s Part to Terrain plugin, I’m able to repair the shoreline after changing the underlying material.

3 Likes

Hi Valence. I appreciate the workaround. I’ve just discovered for a map our size, it takes 5 hours to complete the terrain swap! With the code we used to use to switch maps from Grass to Winter, it’d take 1-2 minutes. Unfortunately this code breaks shorelines like the paintbrush does.

What’s the latest on this? I’d love to save some time. Thank you!!

1 Like

Yup, I saw your post on Twitter, I’m looking into this at the moment. May I ask what dimensions you were working with while using the fill and replace tool?

Also, the fixes for paint/replace around shorelines are in, but unfortunately did not make it into our last release for the year.

1 Like

It turns out I was not properly considering how long it takes to wait until the next cycle on coroutines, and a feature that was meant to decrease lag, just increased total time to complete this operations by a large margin. I tried this with a replace operation of size (8192 x 1024 x 8192), which currently would take around 2.5 hours to complete. With the new version, it should complete in 2.5 minutes.

2 Likes

Oh great. Honestly if the brush works as intended soon here, and the replace tool works that fast, that would completely fix this issue for me and I can abandon the script I’m using today.

I am doing a similar size of terrain, maybe a bit larger in all directions. I could have probably cut the size down if I knew what I was in for on the time to replace!

2 Likes

Though there are still some issues with larger terrain sizes, the tool should work a lot faster now!

1 Like

Used it just the other day and it was a dream with how fast it was! THANK YOU.
Now just need painting with the Terrain Tools by hand to be nice to water.

1 Like

This should fixed as of this update: New Voxel API to work with Shorelines

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.