Improvements to the Terrain Editor

I have a weird feeling the team is ignoring this suggestion entirely. Either that or they have this in the works already. It better be the second one. It’s just weird to see them saying they want games using terrain to look better, but then persist to not implement the correct features.

4 Likes

100% agree. The terrain system needs a huge overhaul with how customisable it is. It’s getting a little annoying when they don’t even tell us where they’re at with some of these features.

6 Likes

Will we ever se any mesh to terrain tool/system? For converting meshes to terrain? I remember a guy made a plugin like that, which i am using currently, but it would be much more efficient if it was already a studio feature!

3 Likes

Agree, the new shortcuts are far less intuitive on keyboard and mouse than old ones.

3 Likes

For those running into issues with the Wireframe, the issue will be fixed in the coming weeks. This is an issue with WireframeHandleAdornment.

For your information, if you have an older place that has parts with SurfaceType properties, there is a good chance that they (or at least the visual adornments they produce) are responsible for the wireframe being offset in strange ways.

3 Likes

@craftingboy26 @Maxwell_Edison @N00BLANCE @Dede_4242 @Pixleygon @000Scripter

Thanks for the feedback! Though these sorts of improvements aren’t in this update, we know that additional options for customizing terrain are important and hope to have more to tell you in the future.

10 Likes

@parker02311 @Tobycon Thank you for your feedback as well! We’re looking into ways to improve performance, though I don’t have any updates at this time.

5 Likes

@TheOnlyDnf @TyberiusCorvus We’re taking usability feedback into account, though I cannot guarantee that there will be any changes.

5 Likes

I’ve tried removing the limit given our new algorithm for rotating and scaling terrain. Unfortunately this is extremely slow and in the worst case crashes studio. We may look into ways that can make these processes run in the background and which make sure that studio does not crash.

3 Likes

any chance these mentioned algorithims will become part of the engine API? It would help a lot when trying to dynamically load and edit terrain in game. For example, a method that moves a terrain region to a certain cframe would do wonders.

1 Like

I’ll consider it, though it might take a bit of time for that to go through as a public API. It is also a bit whacky since, as many people are no doubt aware, terrain is based on a voxel (3D pixel) grid. In this case, the plugin calls copy region, calls the ApplyTransform method, and then pastes the region back in. The ApplyTransform method does two things, which is:

1. Determine a new bounding box which needs to be used in order to properly fit the extents of the rotated chunk
  2. Iterates over every voxel in that new bounding box, then inverting the transform cframe in order to get a source voxel (plus some interpolation magic for scaling)

For now you could theoretically imitate this in Lua, though it would be slower. Its also worth noting that once you apply a rotation there is no good way of getting back. Also, once you have such a rotated region, it would be fairly problematic to rotate again as your TerrainRegion (or in the case of Lua, your 3D voxel array) also contains a bunch of empty voxels. In other words the operation is destructive and the TerrainRegion degrades the more you rotate the same one.

2 Likes

Gotcha, even if there are limitations to the API like only being able to rotate regions by 90 degrees to maintain voxels, anything would help vs what we have now. Anyways, thank you

1 Like

Really good update! These shortcuts are gonna help streamline the process of terrain editing.

Also, am I wrong, or did they not allow you to rotate terrain anything less then 90 degrees before?

1 Like

Now we just need the ability to add more terrain materials as opposed to just being able to edit existing ones, then all my dreams have come true

1 Like

I tried to use the default terrain baseplate to test it without anything else edited on it.

But even whitout going crazy like “99,999” I used “4096” but that was even too much and broke eveything when I moved back to the “Select” tool from the “Transform” after erroring.

Ending up with this:

1 Like

Ah alr. Well I havent had issues with using the plugin at all, maybe add a disclaimer when selecting a large area

1 Like

I like the improvements so far but I think keeping some of the old buttons for Copy / Paste / Duplicate wouldn’t hurt

don’t forget to update the documentation as well

1 Like

I’m getting this “double layer” sort of warning a lot of times with my terrain which completely locks the movement, is it a known issue?

1 Like

Now all we need is the option to color certain sections of the terrain. I hate having to create new worlds if I want to use 3 different colors of grass. with the paint tool add an option that lets us paint a certain color onto that section. This would be amazing for those who wants grass to go from a dark green grass to a faded green grass. Not sure if this is already in studio or not but I have never seen a feature like this if it is. I do know about changing the color of grass overall but nothing about sections of it

7 Likes

Idk if this is the right place to say this but its regarding the future terrain updates so ill put it here.

Pleasee, additionally add the ability to create your own grass mesh to use, I been waiting for yearss, pleaseee, to make the grass even better you could make it so you could tweak the top and base Transparency of the grass so that it can blend with any terrain perfectly.

With that it would be perfect!!!

8 Likes