Improvements to the Terrain Editor

does not work correctly underwater, i can not erode this chunk of terrain for anything with the sculp tool, everything just works around it, and there are many more like it

I would remove the water and add it again, but the sea level tool was apparently removed.

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue for a while now, not just since the release of the new tools.
It seems to have started after the Shorelines update. I thought it was maybe fragments of the water causing it, but I tried using the Region tools to fill the space entirely and could only remove little bits of the Region I added.
I was using Sand, Basalt and Water at the same time and trying to Grow or Erode edges between the Sand and Basalt seemed to cause part of the issue.

@ziplocBag Noted, will take a look at this issue as well.

4 Likes

I also posted a video on the Shorelines Beta announcement of what the result was. Improved Water with the Shorelines Beta - #198 by Scottifly

Probably should’ve posted a Bug report…

Please add the ability to give every material more than just one color… (I mean like having the same material used in a lot of places but with a different color in every place)

That’s honestly the only thing I can think of that we really need with Roblox’s Terrain

2 Likes

If we get the ability to easily move terrain between places it would be amazing if it were as simple as copying a terrain instance from one window and pasting it into another, just as if it were a regular part. Take a look at this post to see a potential future for how the terrain system could work. You may get some ideas for your prototyping phase.

can you just make it back to mouse scroll wheel to change size and control scroll wheel to change strength, the new update is so stupid

1 Like

plus can you bring back the ability to adjust the size by giving numbers instead of the size scale drags or what ever they are called

This is really neat! Though I don’t seem to have any of these features… Is Roblox slowly rolling this out or do only certain developers get this?

Select tool very good, would be a very nice bonus if you could copy+paste terrain across studios, would make transferring terrain between places a lot more seamless than it is right now since I have to use a plugin for it. Currently you can copy and paste 3D objects across studios, so the same behaviour for terrain with this new select tool would be a very nice QoL addition

Have you looked in your Studio File Settings?
You should see enable Beta Features, and you can choose which you want to enable.

2 Likes

Also @ReallyCyan

Unfortunately there is no way of making copy/paste between instances that simple with the plugin, since the plugin has some runtime context that cannot be transferred over in that way. However, we are trying to make the overall process as simple and straightforward as possible.

2 Likes

Other users have shared your concerns as well. We’re still looking into how we want to address both. That being said, you can adjust the numbers for the size and position directly by adjusting them in the select tool first and then going back to the import, or generate tools.

That’s not necessarily true, using an instance of some kind that contains the raw :ReadVoxels() data could be a simple, elegant way to copy paste between studio instances.

For any dev that might want to recreate “terrain from instances” without official support, you could generate a modulescript containing the table of data or convert the data to a string and store in an attribute of any object (Maybe a configuration instance)

The plugin keeps track of every inserted object (or a specific kind of object) waiting to find the TerrainVoxels Data. A more sophisticated plugin could implement a terrain-editor like drag tool to move the stored terrain around maybe even allow it to be selected like a part.

1 Like

I know this can’t be implemented at the plugin level. For this to work it would require a rejigging of how terrain works at an engine level so that multiple terrain instances can exist within the same datamodel. Combining two terrain instances together (of the same type) is something that can be done at the plugin level however.
This is not just about easily moving terrain around. It’s a request for a more flexible terrain system.

1 Like

I Really like the the Terrain Improvements! however do my Huion Pen Tablet Compatibles with the Roblox Terrain Sensitivity? and Stylus?

So good update! You are amazing-
:smiley: Greetings from Colombia

@Veldaren @VGVC2 @Pharao13 @ByGoalZ

We’ve gone ahead and enabled some bug-fixes.

• There was an issue with WireframeHandleAdornments where their position would be offset in strange ways, causing the terrain wireframe to not line up, this has been fixed.
  • It is no longer possible to break the plugin by making the terrain region too big, we’re still working on adjusting limits and adding better warnings and feedback for when you’re out of range. At the moment, warnings are printed to the console.
  • We have exchanged the ALT shortcut for scaling region for SHIFT to better align with the rest of Studio.

After some discussion, we’ve decided to make some UI adjustments. These aren’t out today, but we’re working on them.

• Add textboxes for adjusting regions back into the the Generate/Import/Fill tools rather than requiring use of the select tool.
  • Bring back the scroll wheel in some capacity, though it won’t be fully the same. There will be some changes, since we also want to keep the newly introduced shortcut. As part of this, these shortcuts should be available in all tools (it was a bug that they weren’t)
  • We’ll be providing a better way to show warnings about the max region size.
  • We’re increasing the minimum opacity on the brush so it stays visible (but at a lower opacity) when drawing.
9 Likes

After using this for a handful of days now, I am considering using terrain for my games again. The overall flow of using the smooth terrain tools has greatly improved.

Once region support is added it will be even greater!

Adding onto this, with GlobalWind now out, terrain is starting to look more and more viable to me.

Great job!

I liked sea level better than the current one because there was no grid snapping, now when I tried to use raise/lower water level in my game it kept snapping to around 6 studs. I had to go out of my way to disable the beta and use sea level to work around this.

1 Like