In a long team create session, having any scripts visible causes lag in the explorer and when doing certain tasks in the script editor

I’ve noticed in the past week or so that after having a team create session in one of my projects open for a while causes lag in the explorer (e.g. selecting objects takes a long time, objects cant be double-clicked because the latency is so high that Studio thinks the second click is a rename and not a double-click) and also performing certain tasks in the script editor (such as alt+up/alt+down to move lines up or down being slow and difficult to use since feedback is delayed).

When there are no scripts in view, the lag stops, but as soon as a script is in view again it starts happening again. It doesn’t matter whether the scripts are docked in the studio interface or are free floating windows, it happens as long as its open.

I’m not sure what exactly is triggering this, in these team create sessions I am frequently using Play Solo so it could be that – or it could just be something that happens slowly over a long time, like a memory leak.

Memory usage seems to vary, when I first noted the issue today was around 1150 MB (right after Play Solo), then it dropped to 850 MB and at the time of the recorded video below was 900 MB. Memory on first joining the session in that place is around 700 MB, so it’s not a huge difference and probably isn’t the source of the problem.

I don’t know of a good repro for this except “use team create for a while and try Play Solo frequently while opening, closing and editing scripts”.

Here’s a video showing some of the latency: https://streamable.com/al6u2j (Unfortunately ShareX failed to align my cursor correctly, probably since I have Windows scaled up so I can read things on my 4K monitor lol, but you can still see roughly what’s happening for the important bits)

Specs

7 Likes

I’ve been having this issue as well. I remember I used to be able to mitigate it by opting out of the New Lua Script Analysis beta, but it appears to have returned, and that may have been just a coincidence anyway. My memory usage floats around 600mb as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up here when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

This happens to me in regular cloud edit mode as well (outside of Team Create), Explorer is super laggy while having any script open, even for sessions that just started (not just long-lived edit sessions).

Can provide more details if this is not an obvious repro from what EmeraldSlash already provided.

1 Like

This is happening to me outside of team create as well, and I found out how to repro the bug a lot easier

1. Open Studio
  2. Open a Script
  3. Rapidly click random descendants of the explorer

The bug only happens if you have a script open while doing it, and the lag will keep growing if you keep clicking explorer descendants

1 Like