In-Built Material Manager Breaking

Our game uses a plethora of custom materials to enhance our experience. Just recently, after updating a few materials, testers can no longer play our game after their console is bombarded with core Roblox script errors.
Players became stuck in our custom loading screen infinitely after core errors regarding the in-built material manager started appearing. Shown below:

Roblox Place File: EvadeCopyRemovedAssets.rbxl (52.7 KB)
This has been tested on multiple devices, ranging from PC to mobile phones. I have also tested with other fellow developers after opening the place, and they encounter the same issues.
Specs if needed:

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
  • Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700k CPU @ 3.60 GHz
  • 16.0 GB RAM
  • iPhone 11
  • Version iOS 16.6.1
    Possible steps of reproduction
    (The listed steps below coincidentally happened right before the error occurred, but may not be the exact cause)
  1. One of our materials roughness maps were archived by the original owner. But the custom material decided to completely appear as the base material of smoothplastic, despite only the roughness map being archived, and not the color nor normal maps were changed.
  2. In order to address this issue, I replaced all the maps with a new asset I purchased online. All color, normal, and roughness maps were replaced.
  3. During play testing, testers reported that they could no longer play the game as the console errors shown above prevented them from loading into our game.

A private message is associated with this bug report

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

the errors are gone after removing folder named “Other” from MaterialService

then I can spawn without any issues after checking “CharacterAutoLoads” in Players service

right after parenting “BeachSand” to “Other” CoreScripts start to error (repro: folder named “Other” must be parented to MaterialService then try reparenting BeachSand somewhere else and then parent it back to folder named “Other”)

Greetings @Beefchoplets, I am looking into this issue.

The problem appears to be that BeachSand has a BaseMaterial of RoofShingles; and we are failing to find it even though it’s a legal value from the pulldown. If I change that value to something that works, like Metal, then all errors go away.

On my end, I am going to figure out why this is a problem and try to fix it.
But could you confirm that if you make that change of RoofShingles to Metal, then everything else is then okay?

If that’s the only issue, I’ll fix it and report back. But if there are other downstream issues, please let me know?

Isn’t that material not enabled for public use yet? (along with Cardboard and Plaster) If I try to apply it to a part then it reverts to Plastic.

Yes, changing RoofShingles to any other material such as Metal works, Thanks.

@0Tenth you are correct.
However, we missed a spot. If you do this in the MaterialVariant.BaseMaterial pulldown, you can set the values for these as-yet-unreleased materials, and errors ensue.

I’ve implemented a fix that should go live in our next release, if everything goes smoothly.

1 Like

This should be fixed now; the fix was rolled out this morning.
You should no longer be able to set the illegal BaseMaterials, and if you read a file that has them, it will be replaced with Plastic.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.