Our game uses a plethora of custom materials to enhance our experience. Just recently, after updating a few materials, testers can no longer play our game after their console is bombarded with core Roblox script errors.
Players became stuck in our custom loading screen infinitely after core errors regarding the in-built material manager started appearing. Shown below:
Roblox Place File: EvadeCopyRemovedAssets.rbxl (52.7 KB)
This has been tested on multiple devices, ranging from PC to mobile phones. I have also tested with other fellow developers after opening the place, and they encounter the same issues.
Specs if needed:
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
- Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700k CPU @ 3.60 GHz
- 16.0 GB RAM
- iPhone 11
- Version iOS 16.6.1
Possible steps of reproduction
(The listed steps below coincidentally happened right before the error occurred, but may not be the exact cause)
- One of our materials roughness maps were archived by the original owner. But the custom material decided to completely appear as the base material of smoothplastic, despite only the roughness map being archived, and not the color nor normal maps were changed.
- In order to address this issue, I replaced all the maps with a new asset I purchased online. All color, normal, and roughness maps were replaced.
- During play testing, testers reported that they could no longer play the game as the console errors shown above prevented them from loading into our game.
A private message is associated with this bug report