Release Notes for 603

That’s I noitced when testing a New top bar UI, experience controls icon replaced.

7 Likes

Huh? I can’t find any mention of an “editablemesh” anywhere in the docs.

7 Likes

It’s DynamicMesh (renamed AFAIK), search it up on the forum there’s some posts covering it

7 Likes

Confirming what @0Tenth said–this is an instance that is not released yet.

9 Likes

Quite interesting how (as far as I know), there is absolutely no explanation about these values existing in the first place… I’ve found references to them in documentation about Materials, but that’s all I’ve looked at

4 Likes

These are unreleased materials.

The fix in the release note is for this bug report: In-Built Material Manager Breaking

2 Likes

This is one of the more exciting updates.
Shapecast!
Particle bug fixed!
Hints about an ‘EditableMesh’ sounds fun.
Strange unreleased materials.

Better than a mystery novel!

9 Likes
local SPECTACULAR = false

if not SPECTACULAR then
   showImage()
end

task.wait(1)

if showImage then
   SPECTACULAR = true
   print("THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER")
end
2 Likes

AssetService is fully documented on the website which is where you will find information about editable mesh. It seems that this service is going to be extremely powerful and very useful.

2 Likes

Its nowhere close to fully documented but the method for creating an editable mesh is on there

1 Like

“Fullly Documented” is a bit of a stretch, I was just trying to make it known that these methods are not completely hidden from us.

1 Like

Shapecasts are huge and I am so happy to see them around! I’ve been hyped for them so much; shapecasts and blockcasts were the stepping stone, and now to have shapecasts that even work with meshes is CRAZY AMAZING. Wonder when it says meshes, does it factor in deformed meshes?

Hoping that one day we can top it off even further by having continuous collision detection (CCD). Raycasts are still amazing, but a lot of hitboxes better benefit with CCD (e.g. like capsule colliders on Unity) and current Roblox physics events are not outstanding, requiring a part to proxy the shape and not being amazing when using Adaptive timestepping. I’d like to perform capsule sweeps for melee-based fighting experiences rather than shooting out a shape that earlies-out on the first hit.

2 Likes

No, the physics engine and spatial queries always work with the static geometry of an object, even if that object has been visually deformed via skinning or wrap layering.

We’re gradually evolving the API in ways that could help enable this in the future, for example with ExtentsCFrame / ExtentsSize, but there’s still many technical hurdles to actually supporting collision with deformed geometry.

5 Likes

Is this similar to DynamicImage, but for meshes? Asking because they don’t have similar names but have the same concept. Would it also allow for reading and writing to existing mesh data? And would DynamicImages be able to do that as well?

1 Like

DynamicImage has actually been renamed to EditableImage as well :slight_smile: I don’t know the specifics, but a lot of crafty developers have already posted a lot of the nitty gritty, I would stay tuned.

4 Likes

Was hoping the buffer luau object would be enabled this release, hopefully it will in the next or at least enter beta.

1 Like

Yes. This is a stepping stone to full CCD in our physics engine.

7 Likes

Do shapecasts also work with unions?

1 Like

I’m very glad to see Shapecast coming in the near future.
I do believe it would be best for Shapecast to have its own “Position” parameter so developers don’t have to potentially make rapid position updates to a part/mesh to change where the cast originates.
I’m not sure if rapid position updates would have any noticeable affect, but I feel it would be generally better for Shapecast to have it’s own position just for ease of use anyway.

Is there any possibility this could or would be changed before release?
I just feel this would be a nice small improvement.

1 Like

they also added the assistant from the rdc keynote, but they basically degraded it into an assistant that tells you how to do things rather than actually doing them

1 Like