In-Experience Phone Verification Experiment

Hi Creators,

Starting this week, the Account Identity team will be running an experiment in which users can verify their phone number in a Voice Chat experience instead of having to leave the experience to verify their phone number in settings.

If your Voice Chat experience currently has UX that guides users to settings to verify their phone number or removes the user from the experience for not having a verified phone number, then we recommend that you disable this UX for the duration of the experiment.

The experiment is expected to run for 2-3 weeks. We will update this announcement once the experiment is live and again when it ends.

Thank you!

167 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

Will the user need to leave the game tab to get the verification code and complete the process?

Because if this were to happen, Android users wouldn’t be able to verify their phones within the experience, since to this day they are disconnected when they leave the game tab for a few seconds.

34 Likes

This seems like it could possibly lead to people unintentionally entering their phone numbers into bad games, Id be careful.

123 Likes

Is there anything that will prevent phishing attempt? seems like people will try to exploiting this.

44 Likes

What if developers add hidden inputs when the user inputs their phone number?

66 Likes

I second this; it’s a pretty serious concern if a bad developer were to “key log” your input as you type out/enter your phone number. Will there be a separate UI that doesn’t track input for this?

37 Likes

This seems so cool! But does the player needs to leave the game to get the verification code?

10 Likes

Can’t repro this on Android 14, you can leave for a few minutes without Roblox disconnecting

14 Likes

If this UI for verification is clearly distinguable from in experience UI and simple to use during gameplay, it’s a good addition.

12 Likes

Yeah no thanks, I don’t think we should have to enter a phone number just to be able to play a game etc
 or enter things in game.

20 Likes

Then dont join voice chat-enabled experiences expecting to use voice?
It’s also optional.

20 Likes

I feel like some games will use it as a form of phishing or key logger especially for younger kids (which technically aren’t supposed to have voice chat but that’s an other problem)
Roblox themselves asked to never share our personal/account info, so this new experiment surprises me
 :thinking:

13 Likes

Some games have it but it isn’t the main thing, im talking about if a game makes you
 because in the OP it was said something about kicking players with out it.

8 Likes

This might be very risky. People with bad intentions might acquire private phone numbers. I think leaving stuff like that for the settings menu in the Roblox app is the best option, since that’s the most private place they can enter it through.

11 Likes
24 Likes

Questions:
will this cause a insane lag spike or fps drop after exiting the menu
Will the verification require it to be on a different website?

8 Likes

This is awesome! If not exploited

7 Likes

Then that is for the developer to decide. If they don’t want to allow people who can not hear anyone else talk, then that is their prerogative.

10 Likes

What’s stopping a developer from listening to UserInputService keystrokes and then pattern matching for a phone number?

13 Likes