In-Experience Phone Verification Experiment

You can tell if it’s real CoreGUI by seeing if it goes over and sinks input over the unibar/topbar. If it’s absent they’re most likely using an exploit to hide the Unibar/Topbar

3 Likes

Well if they’re really committed to the bit, then they’ll probably do that.

1 Like

Wow, this seems like an incredibly terrible idea! What are you going to do about fake mobile phone prompts in games? It’s already obvious that even a tech enthusiast can be caught by this stuff. So trusting somebody playing a Roblox game to know what prompt is real and what’s not will have unforeseen consequences.

1 Like

Please do not push this update, this could lead to possible phishing attempts, spam calls or scam SMS messages to any victims of this, which can be likely children.

1 Like

I assume you’ve already thought of developers tracking user input to steal the phone number and you’ll just disable any input events, but this update still seems pretty pointless.
The biggest problem I see with this is that people will to make an exact copy of the UI to trick players into typing their phone number.

2 Likes

Do you actually think out your ideas before releasing them to the public? :joy:

4 Likes

Kids can be tricked easily, especially these days.

1 Like

Update seems fine I don’t have any opinions on this.

However for those in the replies - I imagine this will be done through a similar way users can purchase Robux in an experience, where it opens a virtual browser window within the engine or another secure method away from the actual game itsself.

Obviously Roblox aren’t going to make it possible for you to listen to inputs on such a system, you’ve never heard of people getting their card information stolen when users are buying Robux in-game because a developer was logging their inputs.

Pleaseee stop assuming they have no common sense and everyone in the replies concerned about developers stealing phone numbers please do use some common sense

5 Likes

Speaking of not needing to leave the game, I’d LOVE to have the ability to prompt players to join my group, instead of them needing to leave the game just to join the group and then join back.

4 Likes

On some Android devices using Google Keyboard you can choose to fill in the code automatically from the Messages App.

1 Like

Surely people won’t abuse this feature like the ones that put hidden marketplace prompts behind UI and stole millions of Robux from users! :grin:

this is a terrible idea. people WILL try to spoof this feature to steal identities. please don’t go through with this

3 Likes

That doesn’t necessarily mean that they should use it. If they are going to implement a feature, it should be compatible with most - all mobile users.

1 Like

Do you have any reliable alternative for Roblox to verify someone is a real person? Phone numbers are not perfect for this (I hoard 5 prepaid SIM and could get a prepaid SIM for less than $3) but they’re a good “low privacy impact” VS “good enough reliability” compromise

Most of what you’re upset about was already the case before this update lol

2 Likes

this is immediately a huge security flaw. theres a reason why nobody does in-game verifications

1 Like

It’ll likely be put into the menu. Games can’t mess with the menu icon or the menu itself as far as I’m aware as it seems to be inaccessible.

Hi Creators,

We appreciate your comments and concerns regarding the experiment. After hearing your feedback and making changes accordingly, we are pleased to announce that the experiment is now officially live and is expected to run for the next few weeks.

We have made the following changes:

1. Concerns regarding Keylogging are mitigated. Our UI component is protected against Keylogging.
  2. Concerns regarding UI Spoofing are mostly mitigated. Entry points to the Phone Verification flow will be through official Roblox UI components.

We will monitor abuse reports of misuse, and look forward to any questions, comments, or concerns you may have regarding this experiment.

3 Likes