In-game Chat: /me

it wasn’t removed, it’s simply off by default

5 Likes

This definitely was a real problem that had to be addressed, as some bots chatted scams with the /me command in games such as Ultimate Driving. Glad to see this won’t happen anymore! :grinning:

6 Likes

This was needed. Thanks roblox i would like to see what other steps you take to remove robux scams.

5 Likes

I LOVE this update! One of many updates that could be used to stop trolls, harassment, impersonators, etc… I have been trolled, and even harassed with this /me feature, and I also think it gives developers more control over their game! :smile:

8 Likes

While I agree the /me command was mostly misused, I don’t like how stuff which people abuse is simply removed rather than fixed.

Not saying /me shouldn’t be removed, but this just doesn’t look good in general.

5 Likes

Please, in case you want to differentiate types of chat (like roleplaying and non-roleplaying), use chat channels. They are far less messy and you could add specific behavior for each chat channel manually. This helps the default chat from being clogged with /me messages.

It was meant for roleplaying. Often users roleplay what they did by typing their action between two dashes in third person singular. /me command was supposed to do this automatically for you. However often in roleplaying games users have custom roleplaying names which the /me command didn’t natively support, so the feature was often undermined unless forked over.

3 Likes

Thank you for this! I never really understood the point of the /me command, perhaps because I’m not into roleplaying.

3 Likes

Thank you for this update, i’ve seen too many scammers use that command. Good thing it’s finally gone! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

thanks for that update. it is annoying when scam bots abuse the /me command to send fake system messages.

3 Likes

Not all games have chat channels, however.

4 Likes

Great Idea, stopping /me Is now a admin and /me Just received tons of robux from www.roblox.com (NOT REAL LINK JUST LEADS TO ROBLOX)

7 Likes

While not the most development-break-through update, I wholeheartedly agree with the default disable. Personally, I didn’t even know you could disable it in the first place (never focused too much on the chat modules), though this way, less people get scammed a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶k̶i̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶d̶m̶i̶n̶ .

Support

EDIT: Anyone mine telling me why this is flagged? All I mentioned in this post is that I support it, why I support it and threw in a joke at the end of it. I don’t see how this is inappropriate?

4 Likes

This is very true, but it is harder work.

4 Likes

It wasn’t removed, rather it was disabled as a default. Developers can re-enable it by doing the following:

Plus, if you think about it, thinking up ideas for “fixing” this isn’t the easiest. People abused it in ways such as /me is now an admin and /me got tons of robux at freerobux.whateversite! etc, while the /me setting already has the standard chat filter applied, so if they kept the default to on, they’d probably resort to editing the words that are filtered directly.

Plus, most people, including myself, wouldn’t know that there was a way to disable it, some wouldn’t even bother with that - this way, if they know that its been disabled rather than removed, they also know they can search for a way to re-enable it, being more positive in that regard.

Also, as mentioned in the original post,

4 Likes

But why would you re enable it. People used this to scam others.

5 Likes

In my opinion, this is a really useful update for both developers and the roblox community. A lot of Roblox users are kids under the age of 13 and they can easily fall for these /me fake system messages.

5 Likes

Even if people used it to scam others, other people used it for it’s original usage, which as mentioned somewhere in a previous post by someone I can’t remember on this topic, is role-playing.

For people who enjoy role-playing, rather than having to use special characters (such as *,~, etc) in order to identify things like actions, they’re able to use things along the lines of “/me turned on the stove”, which is much more obvious to others who read it that they’re role-playing (if they know what /me is) than a bunch of weird characters surrounded by text. Though, of course, most of the time role-players use alias’s in order to “spice” things up, or make it seem more like an actual role-play, where they’re a different person entirely.

Well, in the end, different people find different usages for things, what I might find amazing, you may find useless - common examples for this is food, but that’s another topic.

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

I always had manually disabled this command via a fork in my games chat, if they try it: just shows up as a normal message.

Once this became a problem, I added a basic check, if the message contained admin or mod or robux (or so on), it’d just say Nice try, but no. in a system message to the speaker :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

And I’m not claiming that either. I was recommending to add chat channel support to your game if there’s any roleplaying involved.

4 Likes

This is great. If anything it just removes the annoying nuisance of players using this to fake being an admin of some sort. Appreciate these changes as it’s the small things which make a big difference.

3 Likes