In-Game Emotes Menu

This seems very interesting! I can’t wait to use it! :rocket:

This is true, however as I said, there are games that break with this enabled but the developer has discontinued development on the game or has given up on Roblox.

2 Likes

I don’t mind emotes, I actually think that they are going to be quite cool. Though, I think that the emotes menu should movable or an opt-in feature. This could help to fix the issue of some games not being compatible with the placement of the button if they need something else to be there. Overall though, I think this feature is a cool idea and adds a lot to the game experience.

1 Like

It’s a somewhat useful feature, but I’ll have to pass on using it, would disable it, and would rather keep it opt-in. The fact it is optional would give the user the impression that the developer willingly chose a bland, traditional, unimmersive system, just like the other 500+ games that would have enabled this feature… “Because why not?” It seems like you have to sacrifice novelty for convenience. And that shouldn’t have to be the case with any feature important as this.

At the very least, let the API focus less on high level functions, and instead allow developers to have more control over the coregui, enabling them to customize the appearance and the functionality of the gui. As it stands, it is currently more of “You’re in it or out of it, and there is no in between we’re giving you.”

1 Like

Personally, I don’t really have an opinion on this. I never made profit off of my games and I bet I won’t be any time soon. Although, I can definitely see why people are disapproving of this decision, it currently appears as though there’s no revenue that can be gained from this, which is obviously going to be a problem for some. I will most likely keep this feature on in my games, as I don’t have any plans on doing anything that the menu will negate, though I’m certain that some people have already made decisions the emote menu will negate. Other than that, seems interesting. Cheers!

• THAIRIN

You can disable this feature.

I don’t get mad at Roblox for having built-in chat, or a built-in playerlist, or other CoreGuis-- why? Because you can disable them.

I’ve never seen the developer community respond in this way to new technologies that do no harm to games. This topic has nearly 170 replies, with over 270 replies ever made (if you count deleted posts), real problems that are impacting the developer community will never be addressed if we all spend our time ranting about emotes.

Emotes have been on Roblox for years, this is an expansion of that and there are many business reasons (especially in regards to internationalisation) that emotes are necessary, as a “universal language”.

Typing /emote wave in chat is really old and counter-intuitive, not to mention, it doesn’t translate to other languages- emote menus do.

8 Likes

Honestly, I like this feature. Not only will we be able to add our own custom emotes we made for our games, but this will also stop the hassle of making an emote menu for many developers. The only problems that I have with it are the emote icons, which might confuse some players because of the character used, so I would suggest to make it so it shows a live preview of the player itself performing the emote. The emote button does not fit with the rest of the interface either, it looks entirely different from the other icons which are not filled with white and that have drop shadows. I would also suggest to make the keybind something like the = button or something.

4 Likes

It appears this has been changed from looking through the game files (textures/ui/Emotes)
EmotesIcon%403x

For comparison, this is the chat icon:
Chat%402x

2 Likes

I wish that the emote menu would have R15 Blank player models than Rthro, it is very hard to see the photos how they currently are.

R15 = Animation Technology
Rthro = Visual Mesh

I see it more fit for an animation menu to show an animation technology example.

1 Like

I always welcome new features. It feels a little strange that something as superficial as an emote menu is on by default rather then being a feature we can enable if we want it. I’m also a little concerned about monetization. it feels like roblox is just sniping money from devs.

I think a better icon would be needed as the current one does not match the style of previous ones and looks a bit out of place.

Also, the current catalog images are a bit weird. I think a solution would be to have a picture of the player’s current character doing the emote as the icon, or to use the same gray character as used for animation packs

Just my feedback. Overall I support this update as a lot of developers have been adding emotes to their games and this provides them with an easier way to integrate them

2 Likes

I think that’s because if it wasn’t on by default almost no one would enable it (either from disliking it, or lack of knowledge of it, or both) and thus it would just be wasted and roblox wouldn’t be able to gain much from it and creating emotes on the catalog would be a waste of resources because of that

and any dev/dev team that can manage to create a custom emote system surely can manage to disable the roblox default emote system

2 Likes

Roblox has neither confirmed nor denied that emotes will be paid. Considering that the old emotes were free— I doubt the new ones won’t be too.

Without conformation, there’s no need to claim otherwise; it’s just fearmongering.

2 Likes

I’m sure there will be free and paid for emotes.

3 Likes

It can easily be disabled. But I’m sure it’s automatically enabled for ease of use for smaller developers.

1 Like

I’d say this is pretty solid indication emotes will, in fact, be paid.

2 Likes

Fair point. The API seems very straightforward as well so developers could just put their custom emotes on the wheel (or make their own).

I agree, although I wouldn’t mind if they enable it by default on newly created games rather than forcing it on every game.

If you have mutilple games you wouldn’t want to go into all of them just to disable it, or having it break your live game while you are away and unaware.

Recently, you can now preview emotes, as seen in this video:

The rig used to preview emotes doesn’t look that good and looks out of place. It would be better to use a R15 Blank Dummy.

2 Likes