In-game system to check if player owns catalog item

I’m a developer for a community called the Korblox Deathspeaker Clan, and we’re planning to rank people based on the Korblox packages that they own. The problem that we’re facing is that we have to manually check if they own it, so my goal is to have a system in one of our games that group mods can use to easily check if they own it. The end goal is to have a mod type in someone’s name in a UI, then it’ll tell them if that person owns the hat. I’m having a lot of trouble achieving this, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Another issue is that it needs to work even if they’re offline. I don’t know if this is possible, but it’s a major problem.

This is a support section for helping out when you get stuck. If you’re aiming to get someone to do it for you it’s more suited as a public collaboration topic offering the job. That said, if you have tried something do post it here and we’ll see what the problem(s) can be.

I’m not asking for someone to do it for me, I just need some help getting started. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to get started with this.

For bundles it seems the most conventional methods do not fully work to suit your needs. However, most bundles come with a unique hat that is picked up by the inventory api and seems like it could be used for this.

https://inventory.roblox.com/v1/assets/2535849327/owners?sortOrder=Asc&limit=10

That link will return the JSON-encoded result of the first 10 owners of the hat that comes with https://www.roblox.com/bundles/391/Korblox-Dark-Warlock this bundle. I don’t know an official method to check actual Bundle ownership, but this seems a suitable workaround.

Alright, thank you. I’ll try this and see if it works.

This requires for the player to join your place:

local marketplaceService = game:GetService("MarketplaceService")

local function ownsKorblox(player)
	local r, own = pcall(marketplaceService, "PlayerOwnsAsset", 139610147)
	return r and own
end
4 Likes