In response to the 'oof' sound discussion

I mean, roblox made this discussion not us. So, you cant really get mad at people for discussing here. :confused:

Roblox should lock this announcement. It’s mostly just attracting bump replies from troll accounts and non-developers now. The last 80% of posts are repetition of the former 20%, it’s not useful discussion.

EDIT: Some recent offending posts above were removed. The post should still be locked entirely.

40 Likes

Also, adding to this. Tommy Tallerico has, in the past, clearly shown that he is not above selling off his sounds as royalty free sounds.

as evidenced by: https://www.sound-ideas.com/Product/200/SFX-Kit-Sound-Effects-Library-produced-by-Tommy-Tallarico

This SFX kit contains over 19,000 sounds that amounts to 6 gigabytes worth of death sounds, water sounds, walking sounds, explosions, laser sounds, helicopter whips, electrical zaps, motorcycle vrooms, among many others. It costed 700$ during first launch and now costs half that much. It could be likely that the oof sound specifically could have been one of those 19,000 separated among 7 CD roms. Even if not, it demonstrates that tommy clearly has the ability to sell off his sound to make them royalty free.

Roblox, probably had the CD rom at some point, though it’s been 15+ years since buying it so expecting roblox to still have it is a ludicrous expectation.

It’s possible that he could have sold the sound to a number of different sound vendors and not have remembered doing so. So roblox could be in the right here.

Plus, we never got a statement from tommy for what he was asking roblox for, he could be asking for thousands of dollars for a one second sound. Something that deserves maybe 20 dollars at most.

Still, it is entirely possible that he sold the sound off a very long time ago. And while, yes he does own the rights to the sound, if he sold it for someone to use royalty free, the disk holders can use that sound, royalty free. The likelihood of this being what happened is very high, and I’ll have to side with roblox on this one, because copyright law should not be abused.

10 Likes

Was there ever kind of update on this situation?

1 Like

Not much recent news from what I can tell. It looks like everyone forgot about it, even Tommy and Roblox.

3 Likes

I think this topic can be locked already. Both tallarico and roblox havent said anything regarding the oof sound in a long time. Guessing this is already over?

9 Likes

Idk, it might be later if they will say something.

1 Like

Im surprised with how fast this both blew up, and died down.
One day everyones talking about it, next day, no one is.

6 Likes

Any new updates on the situation?

1 Like

seeing how the Oof sound is still in the game and how Tommy seems to no longer make noise on the topic, im safely assuming he had no ground to stand on and silently gave up the battle.

That is my assumption though, they (Roblox and Tommy) could be settling this silently behind curtains in a way to make sure that no side receives backlash.

6 Likes

I believe roblox should be able to keep the sound, it’s just a small sound that I don’t think should be that much of an issue roblox has had that sound for a really long time and the person who is claiming to be the owner should’ve taken action earlier when the sound was released on roblox… the sound really doesn’t even take much effort to make it’s just simple.

2 Likes

It looks like they have come to some sort of settlement and the oof sound is going to be removed which is really a huge shame as it was such an iconic sound.

New sounds kits are available for purchase but I don’t think it will make up for that loss. Hopefully the new audio is good.

7 Likes

So… are you gonna still remove the sound or what? did you just put all of your campaign on it?

I think it’s being removed but will be part of the sound kits Tommy has available.

Is this actually a plan that they’re going to put into motion? No more Roblox-generated assets? Or am I reading this wrong?

Sad to see someone tried to claim it.

We need to wait, what’s gonna happen next.

This discussion should be locked after both sides response.

When will this be removed and replaced? I heard something about “early 2021” but here we are. Also interested in what the new sound may be.

And here we are in late 2021, lol. Wonder if this was solved or something.
i guess thank @nyawcola for reminding me I sent that lol

1 Like

They said Nov was the month of which they would make the “OOF” sound AKA Uhhh.wav a part of that sound kit thing.

The post I read a while back.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.