Include a light theme for the Creator Hub

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to choose a theme that fits best for me on the new creator hub.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I use light themes on nearly every platform I use.

First, style. In a well lit room, I find light themes to look significantly nicer. This is, of course, a personal preference, which is why websites like Roblox and the developer forums let you choose your theme.

Second, and in my opinion more significantly, accessibility. To a non-zero amount of people, a dark theme is physically harder to read. A research by the Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group at the University of British Columbia (cited by Gizmodo) found the following:

People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the “deformed” lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

I do genuinely have experience with people afflicted with damaging forms of astigmatism, which mean that text on dark themes reads far blurrier. It would be an accessibility win to have a toggle between light and dark theme, without affecting those who prefer dark themes.

The forum template for website features tells me to use “Documentation Requests”, which no longer exists. This is not a bug report, so I did not place it in #bug-reports:documentation-issues.

60 Likes

Thanks for sharing your feedback Kampfkarren! We are looking into including a light theme for creator sites – please stay tuned.

16 Likes

Any update on this? The creator hub not having a light theme is my biggest reason for not using it.

17 Likes

The creator hub seems to have now completely replaced the developer hub and I still do not see any option for this. The creator hub is essentially unusable to me until this is fixed.

8 Likes

I’d imagine they’ll start work on a light theme once they’ve finished working on the dark theme. (It’s very clearly unfinished as it’s missing many important parts that the main Roblox site has)
Once the dark theme is actually completed it should be far easier to make the light theme by simply making all the dark bits lighter, instead of needing to code in parts for both at the same time.

Not to take away the validity of accessibility concerns, but I’d be a little surprised if there was any significant demand as such for a light theme (by the numbers at least, as dark themes are the trend nowadays and most people like how it’s easier on the eyes as well as it feeling far more modern)

3 Likes

Feature requests are about introducing problems to Roblox so they can address them. None of this is useful to me and why a feature doesn’t already exist isn’t relevant if it’s non-blocking.

2 Likes

This is still a necessity. I have to strain hard to read any of the pages.

5 Likes

I made this mockup in just a few minutes:

Please add this Roblox, the people need it!

2 Likes

Only at Roblox does it take over a year for the simplest of features to get completed

5 Likes

As a developer who needs to/does spend a large amount of time on Creator pages, the lack of a light theme really hurts my development experience. I have to spend an annoying amount of effort to read content for any more than 2-4 minutes; after that point, text starts blurring or my eyes start getting a bit fuzzy when I switch away from the page. There’s a reason I’ve never used dark theme on any Roblox site or app.

I really wish some more signal was provided here. My uses of documentation and Creator sites isn’t going down any time soon, rather it’ll likely increase as a result of Open Source Documentation, and I’d like to just read the content normally without having to go to great lengths to make things readable.

Light theme for creator hub was mentioned on part 4 of the roadmap yesterday, late 2023.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out, looks like this completely evaded me when I checked out the roadmap. It’s probably because I wasn’t expecting to see “light mode” with “homepage expansion” or under “insights”.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone who helped bring this to us!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.