Incoming Adjustment to 'Pending Sales' Waiting Period

Please e re-read. It clearly states a range from 3 to 7 days.

1 Like

Waiting a week? Seriously. This is absurd. Additionally what qualifies as a “risk of fraud or abuse”. How do you even go about determining that?

Additionally, what happens if Roblox doesn’t approve sales. Do developers just lose out on that? What happens if it’s a legitimate transaction and you flag it… You guys don’t have a good track record with moderating malicious vs non malicious assets to begin with, why should we trust you to additionally moderate funds.

4 Likes

Honestly i dont know if this update is a good idea, not trying to hate or anything but i just dont think it will be good to have to wait from 3 - 7 days just to get paid, especially for small developers. I understand why we get 30% taken off cause its kinda like tax but i dont get how this update will help stop fraud. it probably might reduce hackers though
But as we all know updates have pros and cons so at least something good will come from this update cause i trust the devs

He has a fair point here - people need to stop always saying ‘seven days?!’ like it’s always going to be seven. That said however, three days - or even three hours - is too much, and it has been annoying people for years: people are just offloading their general annoyance with this issue here. There are now hundreds of responses that concur with me here. This simply cannot be the most efficient way.

Because the needs of people being scammed or hacked out of hundreds of dollars worth of virtual items outweigh, in most cases, the needs of a developer missing out on 1 in 1000 transactions for a few days.

What I find outrageous is that everyone here is making hay out of this before they’ve even seen the implementation. None of the criticisms are about the system, just that “Roblox will mess it up” - why not wait and see if they do? I suspect this isn’t going to be something that any of us even notice.

1 Like

I really hope I don’t get banned for saying this on an official announcement but roblox is roblox, they are going to mess this up somehow, it might be a website glitch, or they end up changing it to either longer, it only gets worse from here

3 Likes

I disagree, many replies including mine are criticizing the system.

1 Like

If you think about it, people use Roblox as a source of real life income. This will be the difference between being evicted from one’s housing, and paying the bills.

Lets say this.

On quote from many people here, DevExing takes at least a week for money to process. That basically means that when a request is sent to exchange robux for usd, it isn’t instant.

If people are denied large sums of Robux after a week, they basically lose a whole transaction. This can be the basis where a individual cannot make that 350 USD.

Compiling, if a individual or group of individuals make 1000 USD, they can pay for a apartment, 300,000 ROBUX isn’t bad. However if a user cannot make up a 100,000 ROBUX, then that 350 cannot be made.

There are a number of professions which users do for DevExing. These include:

• Comissions
  • Games
  • Merch

These professions for small time developers could be on the tipping point.

Lets consider something else.

The usage of this Robux. As Robux now has a wait time of 3-7 days to be received, the increase in pending sales time will hurt users.

Why?

Ads may be an example. Starting games rely on ads to get their popularity up. If a constant amount of people aren’t playing the game, or aren’t introduced to the game, then Robux profits will be lost. Ads need a constant amount of robux payed so people will know about the game.

Something that ads do is introduce games to the audience of Roblox. It does not just use the popular sorts feature when people are scrolling down to the bottom. This is why ads are essential, and if users can’t get enough robux in-time to pay for them, they’re losing money, not gaining them.

I’d also like to turn to this.

We do not have a solid foundation of knowledge. We can consider a few things however.

• Roblox may not have the resources to process thousands of transactions made every hour, by human review. Roblox might be using bots to review the transactions made.
  • Roblox might not be able to effectively review data given by these transactions.

• It seems improbable that Roblox can tell whether items are effectively fraudulant, specifically from just transactions. There is no solid data that Roblox can tell what the interest’s of users are doing from just transactions. For example.
    • Varying rates of comissions.
    • Payouts to several people at once.

There is so much we don’t know about Roblox is doing to process these requests. From previous experience, I do not expect Roblox to be doing this most efficiently. This is only covering a wound with a bandaid. This is much more problematic than a wait time needed. Roblox doesn’t even have the resoruces for its support team to effectively process requests until the wait time has passed. It won’t matter because of that.

3 Likes

I totally agree with this. Roblox could do better than just bandaiding a fix. There are alternatives for account security such as adding security questions, allowing for different 2FA systems such as Google Authenticator or others. Additionally, support for actual security keys could even boost account safety.

If Roblox took steps to implement those first, and someone made fraudulent payments to someone else because they didn’t take the time to enable extra security steps, then in reality it becomes on the account who made the fraudulent purchases, NOT the developers or people receiving the money.

As it is Roblox gives us a decent set of security features with the pin and email 2FA, if that isn’t enough to secure an account and ease Roblox’s worry of fraudulent payments, then even a moderation system of payments wouldn’t do that.

To respond to @unix_system, I totally disagree with your point made. It is impossible to get scammed out of hundreds of dollars worth of virtual items if you are using official methods to transfer those funds. Even the Roblox ToS advises against selling things outside of the trading system or other built in ways. If reality, if you get scammed by going through a 3rd party method, it should be on you, not Roblox, as you didn’t heed to their advice.

Additionally, as Scrizeebe pointed out, the needs of a developer missing 1 out of 1000 transactions can be the difference between eviction and having a place to live.

Finally, I think it is a safe assessment to believe that Roblox will mess it up. They’ve done it in the past, and they still have yet to fix a terrible moderation system. Why should we change our belief that they will not mess up with this, especially since Scrizeebe noted that basically peoples lives are at stake here.

2 Likes

To me this is unnecessary. Couldn’t a 7 day wait be for much larger fees, like 10k or 50k? In my opinion, you guys should get rid of this update, it makes me and other developers very unhappy. You are forgetting small developers like me and many others too!

2 Likes

Roblox currently uses tokens as part of user authentication. However as described here, fraudulent activity might be lowered if some sort of replacement to cookies is made. A main method include cookie logging, and thats how most users become victim to their accounts being compromised, sold, purged, and having their robux plus items wiped.

I’m not sure if my quote will work, as I had to manually fit it in, due not having permissions to talk there.

TOTP 2 Factor Authentication was also talked about at RDC 2019. Couldn’t find anything for RDC 2020.

These are/would be great steps to help stop fraudulent activities, if fully put through the site.

2 Likes

Don’t you think this is more of a bandaid over the scamming/hacking issue rather than an actual fix? I feel like better scam detection by training self-learning AI to look for scam messages, investing in hacking awareness campaigns that teach kids about certain common phishing attempts to get users information, and even forcing 2FA would be more effective than this, with way less downside.

2 Likes

It is just a bandaid fixing. It has not even been included in the Summer 2020 recap because of these critical replies.

1 Like

Can this info text be updated to explain the new 3 to 7 days?

“up to a few days” is extremely vague for something as important as Robux earned. New developers could have absolutely no idea when they are supposed to get their Robux -leading them to think of Roblox as unreliable.

9 Likes

I would love to know what is counted as suspicious. I have had the same pending sales for the past few months with transactions all within Roblox’s ToS. At this point, my premium payout is double of my pending payout and I have no idea how many days that will last.

I’m not mad or anything, just curious to know what counts as suspicion. I know by the 7 day mark it will be like nothing ever happened, but the unexpected suspicion makes me curious.

2 Likes

3-7 days pending? More like 7 days is your new standard.

15 Likes

I honestly believe 3 days was a perfect time for pending robux to come in, but 7 days? That’s just ridiculous. For developers like us who DevEx on every calendar month or pay developers for their work this just absolutely sucks. I believe that it should of stayed 3 days and not even had the topic brought up.

5 Likes

Mine we’re like pending for 10 days. Lol

3 Likes

I’m sorry but this is total cookie cutter BS I have to pay my developers on time I think Roblox did to much this time and Im not happy with it you need to fix this immediately because I would literally switch to unity Im not trying to be rude or anything but your doing way too much.

1 Like

Sorry to disagree with everyone (well, most people :sweat_smile:), but I think if Roblox needs to do this, there will be good reason for it.

As developers we should support whatever they need to do to make the platform safe and secure, it is in our interests as much as it is theirs.

If Robux now pend for up to seven days, then I will adapt and forward plan to accommodate. :+1:

1 Like