Increase Range Limit of Lights

Vouch, the short light range is crippling. It’s possible to work around by chaining lots of lights but it handicaps performance, is unnecessarily hard to do and it always ends up looking wrong.

Roblox, please fix.

21 Likes

I really hope this light range limit will be increased significantely, 60 studs is just too low, no game engine would stick with such small limit, even though you can make stuff smaller to achieve the thing you want.

22 Likes

I entirely support this, there’s been too many times I’ve had to use a ridiculous amount of lights to illuminate one area when it could have just been done with one light.

16 Likes

This I want so bad, it would finally allow me to create realistic lightning strike flashes rather than use brightness property in lighting as I need to the lights to have absolutely insane range. If the limit could be removed, I would be happy.

12 Likes

Increase range limit to something like 300, and add a BrightnessInfluencesRange boolean for realism.

23 Likes

I honestly have no idea why they would cap it at 60, it’s such an unintuitive thing to do. Just take a baseball field spotlight for example. Not possible. A Police car spot light? Not possible either. It can’t be because of performance. I also hate how the light disappears when you get to about 100 studs away from the light. Absolutely pathetic.

19 Likes

Honestly, if they really want to power imagination, there should be no limit at all. Leave it up to the Developer, that’s what I always say.

21 Likes

How is this still an issue nearly two years after FiB Phase 3 was released. We have custom PBR materials, actual clouds (to an extent), voice chat, facial animations… yet we still can’t make a proper headlight.

26 Likes

Support. I’m developing for a game and scripted some spotlights that can track a subject. In order to extend the light I needed to put a seperate script in which performs a raycast and then positions an attachment containing a PointLight respectively to create the effect. Which I feel is also causing a detriment to performance with it being tied to RunService.Heartbeat. Whilst we are on the subject of lighting. I say that Lighting.Technology should be able to be changed by scripts. A use case for this would be so that players using less powerful devices could use a developer-created graphics settings GUI to switch from Future to ShadowMap/Voxel to improve performance for their client via LocalScript. This currently isn’t possible because the property is currently non-scriptable.

23 Likes

The future will be much…Brighter, once the range limit is increased.

19 Likes

This. I’m working on a game that has a lot of large, open caverns and (as you can imagine) illuminating them is so much more tedious than it ever should be. I understand why the range cap existed, the engine just wasn’t cut out for it years ago but that isn’t the case now and it’s only a massive handicap for developers who actually want to be somewhat ambitious with their lighting.

12 Likes

Same here, making tall Street Lights is a impossible to make, and I still don’t know why they won’t update it. It’s not hard to remove the cap.

7 Likes

At the moment, we’re forced to add multiple light sources in a proper adjusted distance, so the light doesn’t overlap too much between eachother when you want a large area luminated.

9 Likes

Additionally, the build that shown off Future is Bright Phase 3 had unlimited light range and more versatility over lighting shadows, I’m surprised we didn’t got that in the current studio build, even though it promised us these features : (

14 Likes

True, especially since this post has gotten lots of attention, and definitely was noticed by at least one staff member.

It’s common sense to get rid of the range cap, it’s totally stupid!
And I can’t imagine it to be rocket science anyway.

11 Likes

It is not performant or easy to place extra lights every 60 studs when I need light to emanate from one source and shoot out far. Please give us some word on whether this is in the cards, Roblox Staff. This one singular limit is probably one of the biggest obstacles to people being able to properly utilize Future Is Bright in a performant and simple way.

13 Likes

Yep. This should’ve been noticed by now, but still no message from staff.

8 Likes

What is even more frustrating is that they removed the limit in the early versions of the FIB beta.
Why would they remove something only to add it back again? It doesn’t make any sense to me, what devices are they trying to support that cant handle a light range above 60?(if its even a performance issue in the first place) This has been a problem for far too long and its about time they fix it.

17 Likes

In addition to it being dreadfully hard to get a spotlight to reach the floor, you can’t rely on lighting chunks to update so players can see the full impact of those lights in rooms with a lot of verticality anyway. Shadows get cut off embarrassingly close to the player and never render any further over time spent looking in that direction. We need improvements across the board to lighting chunk updates with respect to distance.

19 Likes

This needs to happen soon. Car lights and many others serve no purpose and makes it a PITA to set up. Example with car racing, racing through a dark track at night (where you kind of need to see the corners), makes it so that it is infinitely harder to do with the range capped at 60.

I made one of the most popular light plugins for A-Chassis and still am pained by the 60 range cap.

16 Likes