Increase Range Limit of Lights

Most Roblox games that aspire realistic graphics are not designed for mobile gameplay and are often disabled from playing. When Future Lighting was first released there was the problem of lag even on modern phones so they had to use the classical ShadowMap, same can be done for lights to force them on a 60 studs range whilst keeping PC players on unrestricted.

2 Likes

I’ve been begging for Roblox to remove the light range ever since the “Future” lighting came out. Large scale builds with lights are just embarrasing with how far lights can go.

4 Likes

I believe developers should be able to use something that may at worst result in a visual footgun, especially when the alternative is not allowing light to reach more than ~16 meters while simultaneously polishing the rendering with pbr and whatnot. Again, it’d be great if Roblox actually bothered to say whether this is something they’re unable or unwilling to add, or whether it’s something they haven’t seen after 5 years of activity on the devforums.

4 Likes

Then increase the render distance?
They could just increase the render distance for lights specifically, OR BETTER YET:

Allow Developers to control it.

2 Likes

I’m saying it would be impossible with the current Render Distance for lights and other entities like shadows.

Increasing Render Distance will cause a lot more lag by letting you see unnecessary detail at far ranges. They cannot allow the developers to change it since people already have lag from Streaming Enabled even with short distances.

It’s already possible via cheat engine (in studio, don’t try to attach cheat engine to the client or you’ll probably get banned)

At ~300 studs (~60 meters i think) distance between a pixel (as opposed to light origin) and the camera the light will switch to voxel and start looking funny, but before that, even with shadows on, everything works completely fine. Distance between the camera and origin of the light don’t seem to matter much, though note that the shadows will have less resolution to work with the further away the light is. The only issue is light falloff - I’m pretty sure the lights having no falloff is due to them trying to maintain visual compatibility with voxel, which doesn’t make much sense to me… The entire point of this is to not look like voxel.

21 Likes

I’m talking about the lights. Not the render distance of parts.

2 Likes

Bumpity bump again!
This needs updated.
The 60 studs limit is pathetic.
At least make it 120.
At least.

5 Likes

The limit should honestly be whatever the developer wants, Roblox placing what they think it’s best isn’t good for the community at all. (We can already create lag ourselves, wonder what’s the point of having the limit so short)

Limiting features like the Light’s range it’s something terrible. This also happens with many other features like the Fire’s size. Is just a pain to deal with them and makes the feature nearly unuseful to what we want to achieve.

Increasing the limit cap to something big like 1k studs or something like that will be totally great. I personally have a tree that has a height of 126 studs: (Yet I had to use two blocks with a Surface Light in them to make the tree light up at night)

Time Since Request Has Been Made: 5 Years

17 Likes

Bump, This is much needed. 60 studs is far too short especially if you have a driving game for example and want to have decent headlights.

11 Likes

Or for flashlights. Or literally lighting up a room that takes more than 5 seconds to cross at normal walkspeed.

I mean come on, this is just pathetic. This hallway only takes around 10 seconds to cross but this light barely reaches halfway.

14 Likes

Seeing how you can literally hack in a large value and it still works without any issue just makes this even more embarrassing…

15 Likes

I mean this is just embarrasing how future’s unlimited light range in roblox experimental build didn’t got into stable (or at least increased light range).

7 Likes

It’s a disgrace it didn’t get into the stable version.

Like who the hell thought it would be a good idea to cap it at 60 studs AGAIN, when we had it all in FIB?

9 Likes

We need this very much, hopefully a Roblox staff is reading this all and trying to requestion to the higher staff or appropriate people who has profession in these things.
I don’t want to waste my time spending at least 10 minutes on just placing invisible lights which does affect memory. I see no reason for a limit because how does it even affect performance heavily?

10 Likes

This’d be a great feature to be implemented!

Recently I was making a lighthouse for my game, and to my surprise spotlights couldn’t go far at all! I ended up having to use a beam, which most definitely doesn’t look like light but gets the job done.

5 Likes

Yeah, as I mentioned, trying to make for example a baseball stadium light is impossible due to the cap.

2 Likes

Exactly.
The fact that roblox hasn’t added it is just pure laziness at this point.

5 Likes

I think the issue is that they focus too much on the whole “Metaverse” garbage.

8 Likes