Increased polygon limit for CSG parts and Mesh parts

We have increased the polygon limit for CSG parts and Mesh parts as of today.

CSG parts are now limited to 5k triangles (instead of the old limit of 3k). Parts that go over this limit will be automatically simplified down to 5k triangles.

Mesh parts are now limited to 10k triangles (instead of the old limit of 5k). Parts that go over this limit will fail to upload.

That is all.

196 Likes

Dang, I sort of wish this happened only a few weeks earlier (I tried uploading an object that I preferred to keep together as one mesh but I ultimately split it and uploaded it as several meshes) but I’m still happy to keep this in mind for modeling meshes in the future.

9 Likes

Is there a reason MeshParts and CSG parts don’t share the same max polygon count?

23 Likes

Now we’re talking!

10k triangles?!

11 Likes

thank you love you roblox <3

2 Likes

I love you.

1 Like

@JohnDrinkin hey your cars can be imported easier now.

3 Likes

Wooo 10,000 triangles I’m going to have fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WOOOOOOO!!!

THANK :clap: YOU :clap:

This provides the ability for so much more detail and less limitation is great, this is a wonderful update and I appreciate the limit being bumped so significantly.

3 Likes

Good work, I’ve been waiting for this for a while now. :smiley:

1 Like

“Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” :smirk:

Please don’t make (too many?) meshes with 10k faces, your users with toasters will thank you, and really unless you’re @JohnDrinkin (you’ve earned a pass and you know it) you don’t need that many faces for any one mesh.

Still though, a great update :grin:

13 Likes

If I had to guess I’d say it’s because calculations on CSG above that could be too expensive.

5 Likes

Better meshes and less “your mesh file is too big” warnings? This is a fantastic update, change my mind.

1 Like

Eh, I feel like developers shouldn’t limit their creativity or an artstyle simply because people might not have the greatest PC in the world. Of course, you should keep them in mind by designing video settings, that would have different meshes on different quality levels.

Then again, automatic mesh LOD is a thing on the Roadmap, so I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t make a highly detailed game.

Just my 2-cents on it.

3 Likes

Super pumped about the increase in polygon limit for meshes!

Might as well let us convert CSG to meshes to go above the limit then.

1 Like

Does this apply to live time CSG as well?

Yes. Yes! YES! Thank you! Glad to see optimisations are always taken place in order to push our work further! :smile: Love you guys and your hard work. :heart:

AND THE CAR COMMUNITY GOES WILD!!!

No but seriously. 5k was lowkey problematic. Glad for 10k.

2 Likes

I. AM SO. HAPPY. :tada:

1 Like