Increasing the limit on Z-Index

In my experience, i’ve found that sometimes 0-10 isn’t enough for Z-Index. So, and i’m sure many people have suggested this before, we should increase this limit by at least 10 or something.

Really simple request.

4 Likes

What is it you’re trying to do in which 0-10 isn’t enough?

That was fast.

I have a system in my game that uses image labels cropped to create backgrounds, and this doesn’t always work well when I want to layer backgrounds with stuff inside them over each other. I just think that we could at least increase the limit a little bit, right?

Isn’t this already technically 0-100?

I’m sure you can move studs by one-hundredths rather than one-tenth?

Surely if you could, you’d be able to use scales of 0.01 rather than 0.1

He’s talking about this property here:
http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/GuiObject/ZIndex

It’s not about Z-fighting of bricks in the 3D space.

IIRC there’s a performance issue with having lots of ZIndex values. I’m sure they could add a few more arbitrarily, but you’d still see people run into issues eventually. If ZIndex was per-parent though and not global, this wouldn’t be an issue at all.

1 Like

This no longer applies - we reworked the rendering code to not care about the ZIndex value too much. We could relax or remove the limit if necessary.

21 Likes

Even still I think per-parent ZIndex values would be beneficial. You would no longer have to worry about adding in a label to a ZIndex=2 frame and having it be layered beneath it.

1 Like

This excites me.

Remove the limit if necessary, you say? I don’t have any (currently) valid reasons to remove it, but that would be amazing.

This rustled my jimmies. Soon™?