Indicator to show what words are being filtered in textboxes

We should be able to see the outcome of our text after filtering before submitting it when we’re sending messages (e.g. Chat, PMs, group wall posts, …).

Seriously, can this be a thing? I don’t want to go through the highly arduous tasks of constantly changing my description so it fits the filter’s standards; nor do I want to contact someone via message and send it, and then suffer from the forecoming embarrassment as I suddenly realized that I ended up sending a fat block of garbage that looks something like:

Hi! I'm currently developing a game called ######## ## and I just wanted to say ##### ####
You did something very #### for me the other #### and I wanted to contact you to portray my ############## 

Again, thanks!

Sincerely, ######

I just want to type words in peace. I mean, the filter is extremely strict to the point where it censors it’s own name; if I can’t really control the filter, I’d at least like to know what’s in the dangerzone of the filter’s wrath before publishing text that ends up looking like spaghetti caught in vacuum cleaner bristles.

It doesn’t have to be realtime because I’d believe that would be a lot of calls and probably inefficient, but maybe just a simple check button that shows the product in a separate textbox, or if that’s too cluttered, then just replace the text in the textbox itself. Please, I beg of you.

…I just want to write text in peace.

13 Likes

Old related topic: [Ain't happening :P] Chat Filtering Live Preview

3 Likes

But the filter is extremely prone to issues where text that has good intention (or text that has no correlation to any form of TOS-breaking information in the least) getting filtered.

Getting around the filter is already easy enough with repetition as stated above by Polymorphic. I could simply join a game, play around with what gets filtered and what doesn’t, and then I now have a racial slur that bypassed the filter with a bit of morse code in between. Heck, we developers already do it enough just by trying to have a game description that conveys the right game information without the filter censoring every word that’s in the dictionary. We can’t convey messages properly that work with the filters without knowing what gets filtered and what doesn’t.

I mean, if we can’t even know what we’re sending unless we do it by trial and error, then what’s the point of having forms of active communication through the website and even through games?

2 Likes

I’m aware this is an old post, however I feel like this still applies. Today, I was having issues with naming a badge. It took me awhile until I learned that the part that was being filtered was ‘you kill’ in the description.

Yes this is an old post, yes it still needs to be a thing.

7 Likes