Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

Brightness 100, turned global shadows on and off. Works?

2 Likes

I was able to get basically a mirror by using a PBR material with 100% metalness and 0% roughness and the following lighting settings:

Brightness doesn’t need to be 100.

11 Likes

Update: I tried it.
I set it to max graphics and set the required lighting configuration
All I got was this:
My results
Attempt2.PNG

if the problem is performance, why not make graphical options for these reflections?

6 Likes

I have some gold material sitting around, its worth a try. Edit: Not the shiniest metal, but way better at lower lighting than shiny plastic. The green speck is a tree outside.

Could you make the sphere a model? So I could try it out for myself? Thanks!

Sure, not sure if the PBR maps have passed through moderation yet though.
shiny_sphere.rbxm (14.2 KB)

2 Likes

Great to hear this is becoming a thing - very exciting! I would like to clarify though - Is this a typical reflection probes system like I’ve requested in the past, but with automatic placement instead of manual placement? That sounds pretty amazing.

My number one burning question is: will developers have the tools needed to correct this system, should the algorithm fail for their particular map? I,e. Will manual placement of these probes be an option should the developer be unhappy with how roblox’s algorithm has chosen to place these probes?

4 Likes

How do I import it into roblox studio?

It doesn’t appear in the beta settings at all.
EDIT: found a fix for this, simply disable safe studio updates. i don’t know why it disables this thing specifically.

Not bad! I messed around with this a bit and this is what I came up with. Keep up the great work Roblox! :clap:

5 Likes

Are there any known issues with MeshParts being the walls for the room? Such that inside the room is inside of the meshpart’s bounding box, as the meshpart contains all 4 sides of the room as one object?

All we’re seeing is the exterior skybox reflected at the moment.

4 Likes

For those who can’t get it to work, a metallic PBR material seems to work better than just a reflective part. The ceiling also needs to be a few studs thick for the cube map to render correctly.

Multiple parts seem to work as well as I just removed the roof from one of the template houses here.

2 Likes

My walls are constructed like that (1 mesh all 4 walls), and I eventually got the mirror to work.

This is the update I’ve always dreamed of! This is AMAZING!!!

This topic is finally now solved!!

As @Scottifly mentioned. Will this take up a lot of CPU?

1 Like

Had a lot of trouble getting it to work. Restarted multiple times and then it magically started working.

This is obviously insane overkill but it’s pretty cool in motion.

Video Link

8 Likes

Use this button and then select the file.

1 Like

The reflection maps make (exterior) buildings look so bright that they’re brighter than their own neon. It works outdoors, but the maps are extremely close to buildings and they usually don’t change. They keep the color of the environment they were in like a million years ago and slap it everywhere (that the pathetic lighting’s render distance can contain)

(super bright building, much brighter than it’s supposed to be)

(red for no reason)
I hope there will be a way to make this work outdoors and that this will actually work when it comes out. I also hope it reflects SurfaceUIs because my game uses them alot for neon ads.

1 Like

I decided to try and use SurfaceAppearances to see if i’d get a better result and now the effect looks way more promising

8 Likes

One problem I have with this is that it updates incredibly slow, and it doesn’t work unless there is a thick roof above it. This means things like streetlight poles in the open sky will not reflect, and things that do reflect do not show real time character movement, which ruins the effect entirely.

1 Like