Infinite Terrain Plugin

Set the scripts RunContext to client

It works alright now but it is super laggy. Why? Is it because evrything is running on the client machine which isnt that powerful? Is there a way to fix this?

I guess you have to many models with scripts running in them

the clients machine is normally more powerful then Roblox’s servers

Yes, ok. I narrowed it down so that it work good. The problem i have now is, the player cant damage the enemies. I think it is because they are not in the workspace but i’m not sure. Thanks for all of your help!

Hello! I’ve been really interested in this generator recently because I think I could use some of it’s code for my own procedural city generator I’ve been working on, as it also uses perlin noise. If I wanted to generate symmetrical noise patterns, what inputs would I do?

Really cool plugin, cant use it myself since my luck is lacking, but very promising in all for the future of Roblox, gj.

Hello! This is a very awesome plugin, but for some reason, when I tried to create my terrain (just water, no other materials or noise) even though I followed all the steps to get the infinite generation, it did not work and there were no errors in the output either, can someone help?

Never mind, issue solved! I had forgotten to put the TerrainData script in data!

There is none, the only way is you nee dto modify the source code, im thinking absoluting the x or t values for that.

Is there a way to make the plugin regenerate a specific area? For example, turning a plain it generated into a mountain instead.

You would need to use the edit tab and manually draw the mountain

Or you can change the seeds but that would change everything

1 Like

Can someone explain the numbers in the Material list as i have no idea what is what, also to the dev you should like add tool tips when you hover over things

2 Likes

2 Likes

thx but what does Bottom/Top, etc mean?

The bottom height in studs where the material starts and the top where the material ends

Really great work. Have you considered implementing a LOD system for the models? If not, i might have to try to modify your plugin to include it myself, cause imagine the difference of being able to load a high poly 1000+ polygons tree when close to the object and when far away one clould just load a simple tree consisting of two crossed doublesided planes with a decal on it. This would make it possible to create dense forests with high poly objects without much perfomance impact.

My idea of how to implement it would be to when adding models for each mesh/part inside one is able to add a prefix LOD0, LOD1, LOD2 and then have a global setting in the plugin where one can set the distances at which LOD2, or 1 or 0 is loaded.

Roblox has a built in LOD system for meshes

Your right. I didnt think that robloxs lod system was working with localy created objects since its connected with the “streamingEnabled” system, but it does indeed work.

Regarding the model generation feature, so imagine a woodcutting feature. The player cuts the tree, and using “touched” connections one can remove the tree from the players client if etc. axe touches tree. This would work to a certain extent but would reset each time the player resets game.

Is there a easy way to specify or feed the plugin a list of objects or locations in a specific seed that it should not generate objects in?

You would need to use the trees X and Z axis to save the locations of what trees you have cut down then the server would need to save this information and then give it back to the client when they log back in

Then you have 3 options

1. a script inside the tree destroys itself

2. You modify the terrain script to not spawn the tree

3. use this plugin instead to have more control over how models spawn Infinite Scripter Plugin

Also the server can use the terraindata module to validate that the X and Z axis are valid when the client sends a remote event to the server

1 Like

When I enable streamingEnabled and i run far away from the spawn point, so that the terrain despawns, and then i run back to the initial point, the terrain is deformed/unfully loaded. It seems that its the lower poly mesh of the terrain thats loaded and its possible to i.e. fall through the map…

Do you know whats causing this?