Insert Object Window Scrolling Needs to be Instantaneous

I haven’t used Studio in a while. Since the last time I was developing games (around 2018), the insert object window got changed. Now it is very slow, clumsy, and inconsistent since it had scroll smoothing introduced.

Here are some of the problems:

• When using the scroll wheel to scroll through the objects, it seems like if you scroll faster than a certain threshold, the items move slower than if you scroll below that threshold. I’m not sure why that should be the case, if I’m scrolling fast, I want to scroll fast.
  • The introduction of smoothing means that you have to allow the items to finish scrolling before you can really use the box, which takes a little bit. This means that if I want to scroll to a certain item, I have to wait a second to see if I managed to get to it and repeat this process if I missed the item I wanted. It’s really easy to miss it too because it’s hard to get a feel for how far it will scroll (see above problem.) I usually have to retry a few times which means that it takes 5-10 seconds just to scroll to an item. It’s frustrating and a waste of time.
  • When scrolling using the mouse, the scrollbar only move when your mouse is moving. Consequently, you can move your mouse to where you want the scroll bar to be in a quick motion, and since the scrollbar doesn’t follow instantaneously, it won’t reach the point you want. In order to get it all the way there, you need to move the mouse a little bit. It’s also awfully unintuitive because at this point in the process you can move the mouse up, but the scrollbar goes down.

Not to come off as overly critical, but I don’t really understand why developers keep implementing this smooth scrolling feature into editor applications; the same thing happened with MuseScore and it caused pretty much all the same problems. I think that functionality and intuitiveness are infinitely more important than making scrolling look smooth or pretty. The obvious solution would be to just remove the smoothness which would solve every problem above.

2 Likes