Introducing 8 New Base Materials [Studio Beta]

Hi Creators!

Today, we are releasing eight new Base Materials for parts and meshes that you can start using as-is or create Material Variants for!:crystal_ball::package:

The new materials include the following:

First Row:

• Cardboard
  • Carpet
  • Roof Shingles
  • Clay Roof Tiles

Second Row

• Leather
  • Plaster
  • Rubber
  • Ceramic Tiles

In Roblox, as many of you know, materials describe both the appearance of objects and their physical properties. Each of these new base materials therefore introduce corresponding physical behaviors. You can change their appearance and physical properties by creating Material Variants.

How to use the new base materials

1. Under Files > Beta Features, Enable the checkbox ā€œNew Base Materialsā€ and restart Studio.

2. You can then assign the new materials with your preferred method, either from MaterialManager or directly in a partā€™s properties. Find all details in the Material documentation.

How to customize the new base materials

You can customize the new base materials as usual, by creating Material Variants. Learn more about Material Variants here.

:purple_heart: Many thanks to @ADAMW3D, @fnublox, @RBLXImagineer, @c0de517e, @BrokenToy09, @joshsedai who worked on bringing the new materials to Studio!

Let us know what cool things you have been able to create with the new materials! :sparkles:
If you have any issues with them, please let us know in this thread. Thank you!

410 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Really good update! :star::wood:

Although Iā€™m sure not a lot of people will use these materials, itā€™s pretty good to have new ones!
And will the new materials used from the beta be visible in published experiences?

Thank you! :sparkles:

39 Likes

This is great to hear, that more and more materials are becoming more widely accessible! :+1:

24 Likes

Finally! This is amazing! Its really going to help not having to use custom carpet mats.

18 Likes

I love these new materials, but Iā€™m hoping that creating new custom materials without overwriting old ones will become a feature soon.

22 Likes

Roof Shingles has a persistent yellow on it. My only negative of these.

65 Likes

Yesss so glad this happened! This is gona help me soooo much!

12 Likes

Those look nice, but why is it a studio beta?

10 Likes

great :+1:

now fix glass please.

31 Likes

Amazing selection of materials! I recently ran out of materials when making my own variants. I also had some awkward mappings, like assigning ā€˜roof tilesā€™ to the Pebble material. Itā€™s great to see that some of my awkward mappings are now getting their own material, namely rubber, plaster, roof shingles and carpet. Canā€™t wait to expand my list of materials!

34 Likes

I can finally model the buoyancy of my IKEA furniture!

(this is cool to see, base materials are super useful for their physical property definitions. thanks!)

22 Likes

Amazing! I needed these materials!

7 Likes

Great chocies! Iā€™ve got a number of older projects thatā€™ll look better with the Plaster, Carpet and Roof Shingles materials on them.

Could we get the Asset ID & Property reference updated soon? Iā€™d love to manually use the individual texture assets and make my own MaterialVariants to change the scale of some of these materials but that isnā€™t possible without these being documented.

12 Likes

cant wait to make a cardboard box fort game

12 Likes

Cardboard as a Base Material?. FINALLY :woot:

16 Likes

I like this change. Leather and Plaster seem like great materials for a lot of stuff.

7 Likes

Solid update! Love the cardboard, leather, plaster, and rubber ā€“ certainly some very practical additions! Always love an update that just adds new stuff.

6 Likes

Hi,

Great work on the new materials. I have a question - why is this a Studio Beta? They are just materials. Implementing new materials, provided their tiling is good, should be drag and drop, no?

12 Likes

Maybe they will add more in the future?.

5 Likes