Introducing 8 New Base Materials [Studio Beta]

Very cool to see new materials being added, I hope to see more of them coming!

6 Likes

This is awesome! Feel like weā€™ve been missing these for a while.

Of course I couldā€™ve supplied my own leather, rubber, tiles and other materials but itā€™s nice to see it as default materials in the engine now.

5 Likes

With all of the existing materials along with the addition of the new roofing tiles that need a certain orientation to be realistic, how long until there is a built-in texture flip plugin in Roblox studio?

19 Likes

I absolutely support this feature.
Having some kinda masking feature or color preservation would be super useful.

Currently if you want things like custom brick walls or rusty metal, if you change the color it also changes the color of the rust and everything around the bricks.

This is a much requested feature. :pray:

9 Likes

I like the new default materials you guys added so far, especially the carpet one itā€™s a lot better than the Fabric one. Hopefully, I can use it for my upcoming models!

9 Likes

Any ideas when it will be released of beta and be official?

6 Likes

Ooh, looks wonderful! Canā€™t see what artists make with these!

Trying out ceramic tile, I noticed the tiles were slightly too small, and didnā€™t line up with studs. With tiles being a more artificial, man-made material, Iā€™d prefer to line them up exactly with the edges of walls without making awkward ~1/10 stud adjustments on rooms using the material. Could this be adjusted?

39 Likes

I work on realism projects, so most of these will be very nice to have, especially the leather, plaster, rubber, and cardboard materials.

I actually knew about these before they were released, and reconstructed them a few months back with the images uploaded by TexturePackBot.

8 Likes

I created a stylized version of the new materials if anyone is interested.

https://create.roblox.com/store/asset/17411646001/Stylized-Roblox-Materials

42 Likes

Awful assumption to make. These are entirely new materials that will be used for years to come.

14 Likes

Clay Shingles and Carpet are my favorites in this batch!! Thank you! Carpet is such an upgrade over Fabric.

Do we have an estimate when I can use these in a live game?

Tree bark and birch bark next please!

7 Likes

Finally! More base materials! This is actually a great update!

5 Likes

Here is a good reason why this is a studio beta for all who wonder:

I swear I quoted you and didnā€™t press the reply button but it added a reply anyways -_-

Anyways, I remember seeing these getting exposed in a properties thing somewhere a while back, and itā€™s nice seeing these officially be announced. Iā€™m gonna be using the absolute heck out of these!

7 Likes

these are all really good new materials mostly carpet since fabric always needed more variation

my only complaints would be:
the size of materials like ceramic tiles not fitting to grid
roof shingles has a weird yellow coloring
cardboard is too smooth, bland, and small, [you can barely tell its cardboard from the preview]

otherwise these are really nice additions to the default set of materials

6 Likes

YESSS Iā€™VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG! Finally couches! Leather jackets! House interiors! Roofs! Tires! Carpet! So many uses!

4 Likes

Always glad to see updates like this, even if you are just going to do variants, its gives us more to work with.

However, I would LOVE to see more scenery specific materials as a default. We have grass, wood and stone, but we really need some sort of default bark, and some sort of coral.

Also as others have mentioned, we need to be able to have masks for textures, and the ability to color them separate from the main texture. We need luminance, and so so badly do we need liquid parts. Would be nice to have water texture on a part make it liquid, but even better if ANY texture on a part could be liquid with a flag on the part.

9 Likes

YOOOOO FINALLY A CARPET TEXTURE
Iā€™m super excited to start incorporating these into builds!!!

2 Likes

Never thought I would see a carpet base material, but here we are. (especially in times where I really need one)

2 Likes

Yay! Now please add more relfective materials and PBR textures! Even with PBR materials, the part looks extremely smooth. I would like if you could add a MidLevel feature to increase or decrease the bump scale on the materials. With that also add compatibility for Displacement Maps and Ambient Occlusion, and of course, add easier support to insert PBR textures as uploading all 4 textures one by one is quite time consuming and pain full. I would like to have a feature to automatically insert all textures in one click.

10 Likes

I appreciate the new materials, but could the scale of some of the textures with repeating patterns like ceramic tiles, roof shingles, and clay shingles be resized so that they tile better with a part of the same material like wooden planks? It would be helpful if they aligned to a consisted stud based scale (i.e. 1, 0.5, etc). Thanks! :smirk_cat:

23 Likes