Introducing Accessibility Settings

This is great!

Would be cool to expand this to more general preferences as well such as allowing a user to set their preferred theme (dark/light) etc. and allow games to use this data to personalize the experience.

10 Likes

Still waiting for developers to be able to access what the players graphics quality/estimated device power is even if they have automatic turned on, especially if Roblox is going down the route of allowing settings to transfer between games and developers to be able to change things based on these settings

4 Likes

This is a welcoming change to see, I’ll try and implement this API into all my upcoming experiences! One concern I do have is the placement of these settings, it appears as if the “Settings” menu is getting filled up with too many settings to the point that scrolling down to these new settings is a nuance and clicking the wrong setting is becoming all to common for me.

One thing I will also bring up is a UX-issue that this new API has brought up in my experience. I used to always provide players with a “Reduced Motion” option in my in-experience settings menu however now because of this new API I have a major decision to make. Removing the option is not ideal because players who are unaware of the built-in setting will lose the accessibility setting without any-notice, however keeping it creates a bit of nuance too: If a player has one of the settings on (in-experience or Roblox) yet the other one off; which one do I respect, could it be confusing to players to show a different value in my in-experience settings to the Roblox menu or vice-versa? I guess this is more of a problem for me to deal with now, as I have to weight the impact of a confusing menu vs disabling the option that many players may have intentionally selected to enable.

It also appears as if the old CoreGui (which is still available to some users, especially in Studio) does not respect these settings:

7 Likes

At first, I thought you could change the Transparency of the whole UI, but it can just be changed to be opaque. (The value can be used in the opposite way I know, but that will be confusing for players)

What I mean is that some players want to make some stuff transparent instead of opaque to have a clear view.

In my game stuff are Opaque by default, and I have a setting to make it all transparent.

6 Likes

Can we get advanced graphics settings please, we have been asking for 10 years, please.

12 Likes

Hope you’re aware of this. Seems to be directly tied to this update.

6 Likes

This extends further than just “consoles”, any user with the old CoreGui will have the CoreGui mess up like this upon changing the accessibility setting.

5 Likes

It would be great if we had a debugging tool for accessibility, for example, being able to simulate different color blindness’s to see how our game would look like to someone with variety of vision problems. Chrome Dev Tools have it:

Code_B2ft6sOaDD

20 Likes

Thinking for yourself? Knowing what’s best for you yourself? Dude, that’s so 2019.

9 Likes

still waiting for a setting to customize touch screen sensitivity…

we’re currently still stuck with scripting it in ourselves

5 Likes

It’s funny how they used the old Topbar UI. Didn’t you want to showcase the totally rad 58 pixel Topbar? Was it messing up the UI for your showcase experience perhaps?

Regardless, Glad you’re expanding the settings capabilities.

7 Likes

Thank you for making the buttons green and not black and white :happy1:

4 Likes

This is a step in the right direction for accessibility options!

I think colorblindness options (or at least ways for developers to easily implement them) would be a great next step.

3 Likes

Love the update, but perhaps with the numerous additions of new settings, similar settings can be categorized or grouped together (like what others have mentioned above). In other games, accessibility settings usually have its own dedicated place in the settings area.

2 Likes

This is enabled by default on my Mac Pro. Useless update.

2 Likes

Very nice update.
if possible, UI color when?

3 Likes

Very cool stuff! Will we ever have the option to customize the theme of the UI? I’m not a huge fan of how dark the current menu is, more of a light mode kind of guy.

2 Likes

Technically not accessibility settings, but: It's 2023, *please* give us discrete graphics options

8 Likes

This is an Awesome update I’ve always needed. Classic Bitwise W

1 Like

No hate, but there is more important things to work on… cmon.
People were waiting for more advanced graphics settings for a few years, and still waiting.
Voice chat api when??

1 Like