Introducing Avatar Importer to Studio

woud be nice a video tutorial,i’ve tryed using it and i coud not make it work using actual bones.
only using empty axis.
the problem of using empty axis is that it is limited for using modifiers.

5 Likes

Yesss!! Finally! This is a feature we’ve needed for sooo long! This looks so useful.

1 Like

Thank you so much ROBLOX really excited for custom avatars in my game!

A lot of people on YouTube say Roblox updates are getting worse and worse, but really they are getting better and better! Very cool!

2 Likes

This is going to be great. I can now create a custom character in any modeling program and import it, and rig it so I can use it in my games. Thanks ROBLOX!

Would be nice if this thing would either also automatically split up rigged and skinned characters or eventually support deformation so more advanced rigs may be imported.

Yes, I’m hoping for deformation as well, so that my sharks don’t have to be precut shark nuggets before they actually become a nugget.

2 Likes

Yea roblox is really kinda behind on this sorta stuff. It’s probably due to some engine limitations, the difficulty of implementing it, standardizing it across platforms and managing its cost (i.e. for LOD levels), or possible complications because I couldn’t imagine why they would rather make rthro and r15 the way they are now instead of fully rigging them and also not place something like this on their roadmap or pipeline.
There’s also of course the triangle limit thing which is actually fairly low in comparison to what you would expect on other platforms (at least the triangle limit for a single mesh; it would probably be raised if fully deformable characters could be imported).

3 Likes

So, im importing the avatar… its a manipulated and changed version of a roblox bundle… its the same size as when i imported it from roblox into blender, but when i import it back into roblox it is super huge. everything is how its suppose to be with all the proper parenting and what not, and ive tried scaling it down in blender, but i cant seem to get it just right where all the blocks are aproximately the same as a normal roblox rig. Can anyone help?

1 Like

FBX tends to scale things way up. You gotta scale it to 1/10th of its original size in blender before exporting.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed recently that the Avatar Importer has failed to import one of my rigs. It correctly imported with no problems around the beginning of May. However I’ve tried again with the same rig and it gives me an infinite loading screen.

I also tried re importing with qqtt991’s example rig (found further up), which I know imported correctly during the time his forum was posted. I still have the rig file and it hasn’t been touched since April 2nd. However, now it displays this error.

One of my friends is having the same issue. It was 2 weeks ago that the importer wasn’t causing him any trouble but now he gets the same infinite-loading screen. Im not sure if there was a requirement change or maybe I’m missing something, but I’d like to know what’s happening since we find this feature is very useful. Thanks

Hi Arkatori,

We accidentally introduced a new bug last week in an update that could be causing this. The bug affects rigs with some (but not all) parts textured. A fix will be shipped next week.

Until then, you can workaround this by giving every single part a texture before importing.

If it sounds like this isn’t whats happening, please send me your .fbx file so I can debug your issue locally.

Low triangle limits are due to mobile.

Trying to load in a custom animation I keep getting this error?

i keep getting an error that ask for the _End like missing “Head_End”
and also some times i import it without error but it comes without the bones… youd be nice if you guys make an video tutorial in the roblox channel.

5 Likes

Amazing feature, so far very lovely.

Though a very cool feature would be the possibility for triangle limit to be applied per mesh, instead of the entire rig.

However, I still use it, for non-character-based rigs which is really helpful!
:heart:

Is there a way we could get some screenshots/video examples of what the hierarchy should look like and how to choose where joints are? When I import the example FBX file from the link in your original post into Blender it shows everything as siblings of each other and I find the hierarchy chart confusing as it doesn’t really explain what any of the items are or what they represent.

1 Like

That’s so cool!! Now making and importing avatars will be more easy!! Ty Roblox!! :hidere:

It took me a long time to figure it out but I think i found either a bug with the avatar importer or the animation editor.

What happens? You open the animation editor on a custom avatar with a body part larger than 6.32 studs in any axis (6.33 is where it starts breaking, 6.32 is safe) and try to rotate or move it in any way and the part wont move but the grid the animation editor creates will freak out jumping everythwhere and so will any parts attached to THE ROOT of the model.

How to recreate: Create a custom avatar in your choice program with at least one part that is 6.33 studs in size in any axis and export it as an FBX following the steps from Roblox.
Import the avatar into Roblox Studio using the steps from Roblox.
Open the Animation Editor and select the newly imported avatar.
Try to Rotate or move the oversized part.

What should happen: The part should rotate and move as expected, moving its attached parts with it (IE torso should move arms with it)
What happens instead:
brokenAnimationEditor

Why would I want to make a avatar with such large parts? I would like to make a large boss creature you can fight. This bug is getting in my way however. I don’t even think it’s because of the importer, it could be the animation editor. Both the Beta version and live versions give me this bug or something similar (beta is where the GIF is from, old version wouldn’t even let me click on the oversized part)

Workarounds I’m thinking of but haven’t done yet: I could (using the export scale option in Blender) export my creature in a smaller form, import it to Roblox, animated it using the Animation Editor in Roblox, export the model from Blender again but this time full size and then just use the animations made with the smaller one on the larger one.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.