Introducing Builder Font + Deprecating Gotham and Arial

Glad to see that I am not the only one who was appalled to open Roblox this morning and find a terrible new font in place on the Roblox site. I echo the comments of others who note that it is not spaced properly and all-too-narrow for easy readability.

I will also note some other issues:

• The font is physically smaller on the same screen resolution (reducing readability)
  • Some text seems to be improperly centred in the new font? (top bar)
  • The black-on-white text (e.g. “Get Premium” button in dark mode) has reduced readability due to the reduced weight of the text

This is hard to read, and not an improvement.

Yet another TERRIBLE decision by ROBLOX.

I don't see why you would deprecate such good fonts? Like I just don't understand the logic. There's many games out there that use these fonts (catalog avatar creator, arsenal etc.)

They chose these fonts because they fit the style for the game, now to return with yet another ugly and oversaturated font.

If switching the font to titillium web on the roblox core gui and website was bad enough, maybe just think of asking your profesionallists and long-lifers on roblox as you're just embarrasing yourself as a fully grown adult staff.

I can assume even a 15-year old would be able to inherit your position as CEO and make the quote "powering imagination" actually true.
4 Likes

This ain’t 2017. It’s no longer “Powering Imagination”.

Their new slogan is “The world is ours for the making.” or “Reimagining the way
people come together.”

The bad thing is that Builder font is so small and in some cases unreadable. Dropping Arial and Gotham is so bad decision of Roblox.

2 Likes

Why does Roblox need 2? Do they just have no idea on what they are doing anymore?

2 Likes

imo this font is less modern than the one before, its a cool font but definitely shouldn’t be the default for the website

i love you i love you i love you i love you

I agree except for the part where you call Arial a perfectly good font because it’s ugly as heck (doesn’t mean it need to be removed, though)
I think Roblox should get their hands on Helvetica and use that instead of Arimo.

“The world is ours for the making.”

Really Roblox? Have you ever heard of 1984? Sounds vaguely creepy to me…

1 Like

okay yeah cool, new font!

we will be removing the Gotham & Arial fonts from Roblox by the end of May.

:moyai:

1 Like

cool font and all, but why remove Gotham??? Gotham has been my main font i’ve used on all of my projects from 2020 until today, and i can say the same about so many other people, i can’t imagine there’s some sort of licensing scuffle like there was with the death sound, so what is it??? at least make an effort to notify us why you’re making this change, every single dumb change Roblox has done is never accompanied by a “why” which only makes it so much worse off for them, i just find this dumb and unnecessary

3 Likes

This is a completely unnecessary and useless change. You could have simply added your new fonts without removing old ones. Give developers a choice!

Changing the font of the ROBLOX website was a mistake. It looks atrocious and squishes words together for absolutely no reason. Here’s a prime example:
In this username, the underscore is quite literally touching the other letters with zero spacing. This looks terrible

1 Like

OMG THANK YOU!! I really appreciate it!! :sob:

This is an awful look. You are depreciating two of the highest used fonts in roblox ever. Designs that are carefully made with these fonts with be RUINED. I am extremely disappointment in this action, and many of the recent actions you have been taking changing such things.

With this, and in combination with other decisions I am beginning to wonder if I should change development platforms.

The new font is great, but I see no reason in deprecating the other two. Please, take back your decision to sunset these fonts. Best of luck.

4 Likes

Why not have developers not use it for new work instead of removing it.

1 Like

Readability on the website is terrible, especially on the dark theme so I had to switch to light…

3 Likes

can we get back the old font this looks terrible

2 Likes

Roblox has to pay for some of the fonts they use, and I’m guessing that paying for both Gotham and Arial is a bad idea for them.

In most cases, Montserrat and Arimo will be perfectly fine replacements for both, and they are both under the Open Font Licence.

There’s not enough weight in the font on the website. For those with visual impairments, it’s very difficult to read. It’s not accessibility-friendly.

7 Likes

At least fix the spacing.
Actually had to squint at this image to make sure my game didn’t magically 10X in size overnight.

10 Likes