Introducing Builder Font + Deprecating Gotham and Arial

Gotham is such a good font, why do you guys have to remove it??

4 Likes

This change is disappointing! I love those fonts, and have been using them all the time.
If it’s something to do with licensing, then… come on, you’re a billion dollar company (I think), just purchase the license for the rights.

4 Likes

Not big fan of this update but hey font looks pretty fine even though it shouldn’t be needing to replace Gotham and Arial than just adding them.

2 Likes

Being a big company doesn’t make everything free, they would probably have to specially negotiate a very expensive and limiting license agreement to keep using it

3 Likes

Well yeah, they will have to do that.

3 Likes

oh my god the new gotham font looks so ugly, it makes recreating certain gui’s more hard. please revert this CHANGE. pleaseee

3 Likes

I do not know why people hate the Montserrat font and Arimo, they look extremely similar to me. I’ve been using the Gotham font for everything (not in my published games) and for me it converts very well.

As if things couldn’t get worse, the two fonts I use for basically everything are now gone as well!

Every single UI I’ve made has been specifically scaled for usage with Gotham, and I’ve created way too many things to just go through and rescale them one by one, especially UIs that I’ve sold to other people.

I also have school buses based on IRL counterparts that require the usage of Arial Bold, but now I have to learn how to use Blender just to get the true fonts, which will probably take a very long time.

Life’s great…

Once you get an eye for fonts you will see the montserrat font is very unoptimal. While fine for minimalistic designs, it scales very badly and has awful proportions and other aspects. the gotham family font is a much better font in that regard

2 Likes

I mean I don’t think people who play would care that much, I think many people are looking too hard. I didn’t even know my UI changed until I really squinted.

FFlagAddArialToLegacyContent = false
FFlagAddGothamToLegacyContent = false

Hmm… there’s a way to restore Gotham & Arial after May 28th, 2024

3 Likes

The change was executed quite poorly. Every text instance converted from Gotham to Montserrat has become thinner than it used to be. This is especially ridiculous because Montserrat literally has a SemiBold weight option, and yet all Gotham SemiBold instances were converted to Montserrat Medium. Now while Montserrat makes up for Gotham, the Arimo font replacing Arial is far worse. While the lowercase letters are not that different, the differences in uppercase letters and, more importantly, digits, are rather noticeable.

What personally annoys me the most is the fact that the “one” has been given an additional rectangular shape at the bottom, visibly widening the character. The little dash at the top of the “J” doesn’t look too usual either. Under the Apache 2.0 license (Arimo is shipped with it) one is allowed to freely modify and distribute the modified version of work, so given the fact fixing these doesn’t look like a time consuming job, an updated version of this font would be very much appreciated.

The “7” in Montserrat with the dash looks quite off too compared to Gotham.

6 Likes

Personally, I believe the Arimo font is a decent-ish replacement, but as for Montserrat, it ruins a lot of the UI I’ve produced over the years.

That is only temporary though, the FFLags will be removed eventually

Montserrat scales horribly and becomes very blurry on smaller screen sizes, whilst Arimo looks like a poor man’s Roboto font and nothing like Arial (notably, see legacy Roblox system message GUIs in games like Crossroads to notice this change).

this looks sooo weird in game

this is meant to be Arial and it looks NOTHING like it :sob:

1 Like

this ruins the aesthetic of “my” game NDS: Classic (First NDS version from 2011 modified to conform to !strict)

I’m pretty sure what you can do is just replace the arimo fonts in the files if you have the latest Roblox client

That doesnt solve the fact any player who opens this game has to do the same for it to look right

1 Like

even then, it’s good to have at least a temporary thing before they remove the font files