Introducing Grass

Still not been enabled on the client :?

1 Like

Pretty neat. Love how Roblox makes these updates to make realistic games. Canā€™t wait for this to be released on the client. Wondering how many games are gonna be using this

Yeahā€¦ itā€™s been 29 days. I really love this feature, but can you release itā€¦ likeā€¦ NOW?

2 Likes

Terrainā€¦ something that was on roblox for so long. Got a new featureā€¦ but the water is still not fixed. Please have a terrain water update.

2 Likes

You guys have got to relax.

If itā€™s not out, then itā€™s not finished - and you never release something that is not finished.

When the devs read this thread and see comments like that it probably doesnā€™t make them feel very good.

5 Likes

The issue is that ROBLOX is a corporation with millions of clients that makes promises that, for some reason, they canā€™t keep up with at times. Iā€™m not bullying them or not relaxed, I just believe itā€™s their job to hold themselves accountable to the promises they make.

Sure, if they donā€™t have the feature finished, they shouldnā€™t release, but then they should communicate the issue, and provide a new deadline.

2 Likes

Seems people are (reasonably) missing the followup among the clutter, weā€™re probably going to look into making staff/important replies more visible.

12 Likes

Amazing feature! This is just awesome, now devs can make realistic games!

just going to drop some more screenshots of my map with grass here
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/512447840014958596/654094882679554068/unknown.png

17 Likes

I think this is a good update as it adds in a real "Grassā€™ thing instead of just having a flat ground with nothing that doesnā€™t look like real grass.

The grass is one of those details that makes a really huge difference on the overall look!
Canā€™t wait to see how the games will look in 2020!

4 Likes

For the painting problem, couldnā€™t you just tag certain voxels with ā€œDetail:Default_Grassā€ and check to see if the material is grass? Itā€™s like checking the material of the voxel, but instead indexing each voxel with a tag that would enable or disable the new Grass.

To be honest, this new grass update looks very incredible. It really helps to add a bit more realism!

66 Likes
what. how.

How do you achieve such realism?

2 Likes

Shadowmap lighting acts on textures, too! Shadows are cast from opaque parts of a texture. If youā€™re using textured leaves, itā€™s amazing what sort of effects you can achieve! His water reflections come from a good choice of skybox if Iā€™m not mistaken. Itā€™s excellent work!

12 Likes

God, this adds so much depth to the landscape. It even makes my WIP look polished. So hyped for its release!

9 Likes

Will this be scriptable at a later release?

2 Likes

I sure hope so! There is so much possibilities with this and scripting it could make for some great and unique work.

Itā€™s upsetting that itā€™s not for future plans :confused:

2 Likes

The effect grass provides on games is extraordinary. This is an amazing feature.

3 Likes

I think having some variations for the grass would be incredibly, perhaps a option for frost on the grass would look nice.
But otherwise it look great!

8 Likes