Introducing Grass

Grass is now live on the client! :smiley:

Enjoy, and be sure to thank the wonderful team responsible for it! :heart:

80 Likes

Iā€™d like to see how many games will be using this, especially adventure games. Itā€™s a pretty good feature

2 Likes

The dynamic grass is appearing on top of the LeafyGrass material on the client but it doesnā€™t on studio. Iā€™m guessing this a bug? Would be appreciated if this could be fixed as it looks a little weird having grass clipping through every floor. Other than that, the grass looks amazing, thank you for the update.

7 Likes

Can confirm, same happening for me and a few others.

Thank you to you and the team, it looks incredible, especially in a post-apocalyptic setting.

1 Like

Is it just me or grass is showing live in my server right now?
Edit: Never mind, Iā€™ve just read the above post confirming it is in fact live! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Please make the client also remove Grass on LeafyGrass. This is how it works in Studio and itā€™s so nice for hiding grass where you donā€™t want it.

11 Likes

I am honestly hyped for this for some odd reason. I will love to see more realistic updates!

Itā€™s out right now. Go check it out in game

1 Like

this should be fixed as of couple of hours ago. sorry for inconvenience

9 Likes

@coefficients
Do you happen to know if you guys are releasing an update on terrain anytime soon? Thereā€™s a little thing that annoys me and thatā€™s that the terrain still looks a littleā€¦ 2 dimensional. Will that come included with specular maps and custom materials? Also will you be able to make 3 dimensional materials and use them too?

2 Likes

Awesome. But the grass should have adjustable properites (example. GrassHeight, GrassThickness, GrassAnimationSpeed, etc)

5 Likes

Yes to all of this. I cant provide timing for that, but YES :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Love yā€™all btw. Yā€™all making life into creating games and learning physics much more easy and better!

The grass is a cool feature but one thing on mind:

If I would be able to, I would apply then to trees to make moving trees. Also make grass paintable, resizeable in hight and width.

1 Like

Are there plans to make Terrain.Decoration scriptable? Or is there a different way that it can be enabled/disabled locally? My game already has custom grass, though the custom grass combined with the new grass actually looks quite good in most cases - however the gameā€™s areas were designed without it in mind and itā€™s not perfect in a lot of cases so I would rather have an option to let players disable it for the ā€˜classicā€™ look that the game was designed around, and also have the option of playing with the new grass for a new feel.

4 Likes

It is not scriptable for a reason. We expect to remove the Decoration setting with the extension to the whole decoration system and we dont want you to be dependent on it in scripts. This way we are making sure that we are not gonna break games much with its (possible) removal in the future.

7 Likes

Ah I understand, thanks for the quick reply. With that said though I would still like to know if my use case would be doable in the future or not which is enabling and disabling the new grass per client.
I know that if I simply enable the new grass over our old some players would be upset as it does change the look of some areas pretty severely - to me having each client have an option would be the best solution though I understand if this is not a super common problem.

6 Likes

Sorry for the other question Iā€™m going to ask rn butā€¦
Do you know a release date of the SurfaceAppearence and Bones update?

Also I looked back into the roblox old videos and i saw a post in 2012 about their new materialsā€¦ full reflective and alot of cool 3d materials. what happened to those?

May I ask what that reason may be? Grass being scriptable would mean a lot to us.

Happy Holidays!

Please read posts through to the end, ConvexRumbler explains that the Decoration setting is a temporary stand-in for future grass properties.