Introducing Grass

I feel like leafy grass areas should just have a less density of grass than the normal grass material. A default color change could stick out a little too much if you mix in the two materials in the same area.

look awesome :slightly_smiling_face:

25 Likes

For once I actually use the smooth terrain, this is a huge improvement.

41 Likes

I am pretty thankful for making this important feature, I would like you guys to add these controls when you will able to make them (just suggestion, I know you guys didnā€™t even released it yet)

Grass Controls

• [ Size ]: [ x ], [y ], [ z ]
  • [ Texture ]: [ asset id ]
  • [ Transparency ]: [ 0 - 1 ]
  • [ Interactive ]: [ checkbox ]
  • [ Collide ]: [ checkbox ] Collision like with an objects, if object collides, it squeezes the grass to the possible direction and size that would make grass not go trough that object
  • [ CanGrowUnderWater ]: [ checkbox] Allow grass to grow grass if grass terrain is under the water

But overall, the new grass feature is excellent, I hope I will see some of these suggested features too, later on :slight_smile:

17 Likes

https://gyazo.com/132b76f82d77229743ae7d6f0932a81d

Will there be a way in the future to make grass not spawn on roads or floors or other parts or should we just use a different terrain for these types of areas?

3 Likes

For now you can just paint under it with another material.

3 Likes

aye yall planning on including decoration on materials like leafy grass/ground?

2 Likes

Really nice update, canā€™t wait to see how it plays in live servers for my shooter game.

Most people are posting images so here is a video.
https://i.gyazo.com/26e0a1db00523f024e0d3258ad72c755.mp4

20 Likes

I canā€™t wait for them to add even more customizations! This is a HUGE update, Iā€™ve been looking forward to this ever since they announced it. Glad to see it come to fruition. Does anyone know if they intend to make changing the color schemes of the terrain materials more flexible at one point?

3 Likes

I have been waiting for this feature for so long at this point! Its been months upon months of waiting and Iā€™m really glad its finally almost here! Overall the feature looks amazing so far. I enjoy the fact that the grass actually has really good performance on desktop. My only worry is how compatible it will be with mobile devices. I love the idea that there will be a paint option and the other thing such as the custom geometry on the terrain. Itā€™s really awsome that the terrain will have interaction ability with the player and other objects. currently, wind had not been planned but ill still be looking forward to that feature being added. The grass has good compatibility with the shadow map and Robloxā€™s lighting in general.

In conclusion, I canā€™t wait for this feature to be released on all clients and Iā€™m looking forward to all the customization options that we will be given to us. :smile:

2 Likes

I just got the chance to finally test out this new addition, and I love it. It is refueling my motivation to continue work on a open-world survival game!

1 Like

First issue, is it possible to have grass not overlap parts? This is kinda annoying to fix by placing dirt over it but it would be nice to have that a toggle. image

9 Likes

it would be cool if you could activate/deactivate it via script like this
[game:GetServiceā€™Workspaceā€™.Terrain.Decoration=true] just in case the users computer
cant handle it

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s a planned feature but they did mention that it wouldnā€™t have a performance impact.

2 Likes

It Seems when I join my game my grass does not show what seems too be the problem here?

1 Like

Itā€™s only enabled in Studio at the moment, theyā€™ll be enabling it for client in a week or two.

Since it sounds like weā€™re going to have the potential to define which areas have ā€œgrass,ā€ will we be given API to set and get grass in Terrain regions? Iā€™m hoping to make interactive crop fields with the future custom geometry, so this feature could be even more than just aesthetic.

6 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate your respond.

4 Likes

Is there a way to put this grass feature on a plugin so that we can paint it in other surfaces like parts or meshes?

At the moment it seems theyā€™re planning or already working on the API to allow us to paint grass to Terrain cells via script. Grass is exclusive to Terrain and wonā€™t extend to base parts.

2 Likes

The grass looks pretty good, but I wish there was a way to change the size or thickness as of now because it looks way too large.

2 Likes