Introducing Improved Genres and New Subgenres

Right but the difference is difficulty chart obbies slowly rise to harder and harder jumps where as a different game would have the difficulty slightly fluctuate for the player to have breaks and not overwhelm them.

3 Likes

Could just be me, but this seems redundant…
The 2 subgenres are the category’s name.

Why not leave it blank like the others? \/

Edit: What even is utility & other?? answered by PezzoGuy

Edit 2: On the topic of missing genres & subgenres… the lack is surprising… a great number of top games don’t even fit the vague genres & subgenres provided.
& on the topic of multiple, a lot of top games also fit multiple genres… and subgenres…

Edit 3: Honestly, imo, it’d be better to scrap the entire thing and just do tags.
Take steam for example, games don’t fit just 1 category. Steam sorts games by tags, you can add a variety of different tags to fit your game & can still sort and discover as you wish.

6 Likes

There needs to still be a Creation / Building genre for building or drawing games. I currently use the Building genre already and this list doesn’t seem to include a good replacement. Party / casual does not embody these games at all, especially for games where you make your own levels / mini games.

6 Likes

Out of the genres, I find “Coloring & Drawing” among the most interesting. These games have historically been moderation hell. Now the genres will make them front-and-center.

11 Likes

Great update! Can’t wait to finally sort experiences by genre again. Also, I wonder what genre Climb Mt. Alimajed would fall in :thinking:

2 Likes

Something like Better Discovery, which is an experience that serves as a hub to review and find other experiences.

I think it would be cool if we could filter genres much like how we can for the Marketplace.

6 Likes

It would be good for a horror one? It’s getting mkre and more difficult to find those and some are really impressive to play

1 Like

Makes sense i guess, but that seems like it’d be such a small genre. :thinking:

1 Like

I’m sceptical about the application of multiple genres/sub-genres, I think it should still be limited but at a max of 3 possible genres rather than 1 at most, assuming that there’ll be no additional system like game tags added (that identify more things like if game is single player, multiplayer, co-op, etc). I understand some games may be even more diverse outside of this but I feel like there’d be at most mainly 3 genres at play without the game being a mess.

I wholeheartedly agree with the ability to search for multiple genres at once, as well as the ability to exclude genres in searches though. If I’m just looking for something to play generally, but don’t want to see anything such as horror games then I’d be kind of annoyed if I had to do many searches through each genre separately to find a single game.

7 Likes

Genre picking is a difficult thing to tackle. There’s a big issue of creator choice and “safety” on Roblox. I personally want to make my game a Platformer (Genre) with a Collect-a-thon (Subgenre). But, of course, as Roblox says, it’s not a popular enough sub genre on Roblox. The issue? Players cannot accurately find games they want to.

The solution to this would be Tags, allowing creators to make their own Genres (kind of/technically) for their games that users can search for. However, since Roblox’s ecosystem is so big, developers making their own Tags at any time would be bad for end-users. This is because a variety of “tags” with similar meanings could be made.

Having general categories developers can assign their games to is a better solution, but to be great, developers should be able to request a genre (popularity aside imo).

5 Likes

I would have no problem with the genre limit being 3, so long as the limit does not apply to sub-genres.
I also think that when choosing genres we as developers should be able to set how much as a percentage that genre applies compared to the other selected genres (and the same for subgenres). This should help players find games if they want to find games that partially but not fully fit other genres, such as games that include roleplay elements or are intended for such but are not explicitly roleplay games (allowing players to reduce irrelevant results to a degree(the disgusting algorithm that was removed then re-added is a significant problem for me as a player, and I’ve found that my experience literally does not show up at all when searching its exact name, except when surrounding it in speech marks)).

12 Likes

These sub-genres simply do not encapsulate the diversity of the experiences on Roblox. It’s hard to find suitable descriptive genre tags for our game, and apparently Roblox can request to change our game genre if it’s misleading? Where does that put games that don’t fit into these genres?

8 Likes

Most of my games are considered sandbox building games, and I think there are many other games out there that would fall under this category. Classifying it under “simulation” really makes no sense, it should have a dedicated category. Other than that, this is a nice update to see, I am excited for the ability to filter games by genre and even more specifics.

3 Likes

What genre would my real-time strategy game have? It’s not tower defense and not a board game

4 Likes

I could claim that the other genres listed here have the same issue as the “horror” theme and can’t be defined by the select subgenres listed already. Likewise, you could easily limit the “horror” genre to select subgenres and possibly expand in the future.

I would personally be fine with a limited genre/subgenre system for “horror” while you guys cook up the dedicated update at least.

4 Likes

Difficulty Chart Obbies are more skill-based and unique than classic obbies. They have a clear difficulty progression that challenges players with more advanced platforming techniques, making the gameplay more challenging. In contrast, classic obbies often feel like cash grabs, using clickbait to attract players without offering much depth. This leads to different audiences: Difficulty Chart Obbies appeal to more serious players looking for a challenge, while Classic Obbies attract more casual players.

3 Likes

Bro they are the same. Nothing is unique, just the same formula over and over again.

4 Likes

Genres are for discovering games. Compare these images:

Search query: Obby

Search query: Difficulty Chart Obby

As a player, I don’t want to find these easy obbies, I want to find difficulty chart obbies in particular. There’s a noticeable difference between these games. The best solution would be to add a Difficulty Chart Obby subgenre.

3 Likes

I’m glad to see genres return even if there a lot of missing categories at launch. With this and the party system finally returning after 6 years maybe this means we will get UGC Gears :yum: as a return of that feature

2 Likes

Why not just make a horror genre from the start?
I feel like it’s easier to just make one genre for Horror and combine them all, since they are all, you know, HORROR.

The decision is just strange to me.

3 Likes