Introducing Improved Genres and New Subgenres

This is satisfying. I’m surprised there are no sub-genres announced for the Education genre though… Could have had History, Geography, Science, Scripting, etc. I understand they’ll only be categorized differently anyway. Still looking forward to full roll-out of this update.

where will my comedy game I’m making go??

1 Like

Why is the Tycoon genre in the «Simulation» section and not a separate genre?

1 Like

I guess this makes a bit more sense to explain why stuff like horror is missing, but why even roll this out when there are going to be a bunch of Roblox games that don’t really fit in these categories easily, or the categorization of them is going to diminish their niche.

Can we please just get a system allowing developers to add multiple tags to their game to describe it in the best detail instead of finding the exact genre/subgenre? Steam does this really well. Tags can be similar to these genres/subgenres on Roblox, or it can be something closer to a description of style/features like colorful, story rich, or funny.

Not everyone is searching for a specific style of gameplay. Sometimes searching for something as vague as “funny” is more meaningful than searching for “party & casual > minigame”. Providing a way to search for games using a list of tags that the user can select opens up opportunities to find niche games much more easily than clumping everything together.

I know tags have been talked about, but I am disappointed this is not what was prioritized over these genres. Unfortunately this doesn’t seem particularly helpful for discovery, especially if it’s anything like the current charts genre pages where you can’t even find smaller games because the minimum DAU is 100k for anything considered a popular genre (such as survival) .

Just give us a real advanced search. Like every other functioning platform. Please. Why is this going to take until 2025 to even get a glimpse of. :sob:

7 Likes

I feel like Sci-Fi is a theme, not a game genre, so maybe that’s why it isn’t included

1 Like

Could we also get a tactical shooter genre? seems like a big omission

I’m wacking off to a good but barely functioning Roblox feature and it’s crazy

chat, i know i’m cooked

RTS
Real Time Strategy

Lol single handily the most important feature we need on roblox(especially cause they destroyed the ad system), and were waiting till 2025! Also these genres should be split up ngl simulator should not include tycoon also I feel like were missing at least 5+ genres like horror, separate like tycoon, first person shooter, and sub genres like roleplay/survival roleplay/houses and sci-fi etc.

1 Like

Ads were used just to get that blue checkmark. Honestly I think roblox did the right choice when they removed ads.

1 Like

Yikes!

Caught in 4K on the DevForum
:grimacing::cold_face::grimacing::cold_face::grimacing:

1 Like

you do realize on how bad roblox moderation are someone can just make a weird tag and most of the time roblox is gonna accept it

Oh, how badly I missed descriptive genres for games… For years, we were stuck with categories like “top earning” or “popular worldwide” which tell us absolutely nothing about the gameplay content. Used to be, if I wanted to play a sci-fi or military game, it was easy to discover something relevant. Thank you so much for bringing these back!

1 Like

As Roblox continues to move in the direction of becoming a “serious” game platform, I am dismayed that there are no sub-genres in the Simulation category for true simulation. There is no shortage of games on the platform which aim to be serious simulators, not just click-to-earn-point games, yet they have no representation on this category.

This genre list reflects where Roblox is today, but there was no effort to reflect where Roblox is headed tomorrow.

No different than anything else user-generated on roblox, we’re already down the rabbit hole :man_shrugging: