Introducing Open Cloud Assets API

Hi Creators,

We are thrilled to announce that Open Cloud Assets API v1 is now available to everyone.

You can configure an Open Cloud API key with specific permissions and use it to create new assets and/or update existing assets by sending HTTP requests.

To get started, please visit our Guide and API Reference pages.

For the initial release, the API supports three types of assets:

• Audio (from mp3, ogg files)
  • Decal (from bmp, jpeg, png, tga files)
  • Model (from fbx files)

We are actively working on extending this support to more asset types, as well as adding get/update asset metadata support using the API. Stay tuned!

Please share your feedback with us in the comments section below. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Thank you!

125 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

So models only support FBX meshes? Are we able to upload rbxm/rbxmx models?

12 Likes

Not many ways. Convert to desired .

Two feedback points from me!

(1) Looks like the cURL examples on the API Reference are still using Lua syntax highlighting. Personally, I’d rather have no highlighting at all than the hard-to-read incorrect highlighting.

(2) There doesn’t seem to be moderation status available from this API - maybe I’m missing it? Is it planned to be part of the metadata? How can creators feel comfortable about utilizing assets uploaded through this API if there’s no way to tell if it’s even usable in-game yet?

All the same, I’m still very excited to try this API out! :rocket:

8 Likes

It was requested din the feature requests topic of the private beta and they said they are working on implementing more file types support for models uploads.

Does it mean we can change audio assets ingame? Can’t imagine what it would cause.

1 Like

rbxm/rbxmx models support will come soon.

10 Likes

We are working on get/update asset metadata which will include get moderation status. You’ll probably see it in a few months. :smiley:

8 Likes

Very cool, but do y’all just have another severe misunderstanding of your own format terms? We can’t upload models, it’s meshes.

It almost feels like bait to see “Models” supported by this API, when it’s just fbx meshes and not actual rbxms, which would be genuinely useful for FOSS model assets…

1 Like

Ah, I see. Might want to note this, as it is quite important to know if someone read this lol

So odd, I was just talking about this yesterday and here it is. Am I right in saying that there currently isn’t a way to upload an FBX into studio and update an existing model directly? You can only publish from in-studio?

tarmac could become much more powerful with this easily, right? This can make team development and auto deployment much better. Open Cloud has been under-appreciated and I’m hoping to see lots more from it in the future.

1 Like

Great that this is now public.

Btw the assets does not show here.

2 Likes

Just want to add a bit of context to the FBX use-case here. The goal isn’t that you should convert your Models to FBX somehow; that’s not a workflow that makes sense.

The FBX to Model functionality should be interpreted as an Open-Cloud API alternative to the Studio Mesh Importer, which can upload as and update packages.

@Maximum_ADHD I suspect you already figured this out, but for anyone reading and confused why FBX == Model in this post, I wanted to clarify here.

5 Likes

Yeah that makes sense, it’s a very cool feature to have! I just wanted to reaffirm it wasn’t being seen as a full-on substitute for the use cases of rbxm uploads… at least until something better comes along for external DOM manipulation :slight_smile:!

3 Likes

Thanks! Can we get ordered datastore API next please :pray:.

1 Like

Now I can upload audio, decals and models without being in studio :slight_smile:

yes I can go to the creator dashboard and upload there, but I hope to see the moderation status (like what @Ozzypig mentioned)

2 Likes

I saw this post hoping for rbxm/rbxmx uploads are part of handling continuous deployment on GitHub. To simplify: change is made, Roblox model is updated. It is clearer now that this was not the use case being addressed and the mismatched name Model caused the confusion. Maybe some day that use case will be addressed like place upload…

1 Like

What are the use-cases for this? Reading through it seems as if it just adds to the Players inventory the same way as publishing a model?

Also, all the investments in further APIs yet no real focus on Developer management of their own assets? - The inability to delete an asset is beyond frustrating - I understand we can archive them, but these still show up in our inventories and take up tile space.

Currently is really hard to organise our own creations.