Introducing Open Cloud Assets API

It is already a feature of groups API if I am not mistaken. You just need to create the API key under the Roblox group to authenticate permission to upload to a group I believe (if you also check the docs it talks about how to select to the groups).

Please let me know if I am wrong though cuz I have not tried it but from what I can see I don’t see what is stopping it.

This is a nice change, however I can only see a couple of potential use cases.

Because this API is for uploading new assets. If something is an rbxm/rbxmx, then it has obviously been uploaded already.

To clarify: when do we get a group rank API as well with audit logs and such, without having to rely on groups.roblox.com?

2 Likes

Rojo can construct rbxm(x) files, so it seems valid to allow such types to be uploaded as models IMO

2 Likes

I’m confused by asset updating docs. It says that the endpoint is /v1/assets/{assetId}, but then the cURL example doesn’t use assetId in the path, but rather as a form parameter. Which one should it be?

Doc link

Highlighting these areas:

Even more confusing is that the usage guide uses both the path param and the form param:

Also, I’m curious as to why this can’t be used to update other fields of the asset? e.g. name, description. I understand how only models can be updated in terms of actual asset data, but it would be nice to have the ability to edit any metadata too.

The request parameter is also typed as an Asset type, but that’s not true if it only takes assetId.

Thank you for the feedback, Sleitnick. The example in the usage guideline is correct. We’ve pushed a fix for the API reference doc. And we are currently working on supporting the metadata update for name, description as mentioned in the announcement. When it is ready, you’ll be able to update them with the Patch assets/v1/assets/{assetId} endpoint.

2 Likes

We are actively working on extending this support to more asset types, as well as adding get/update asset metadata support using the API. Stay tuned!

Would this include the asset ID?
On successful upload, I just get a path returned, which says something like operations/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Edit: Nevermind, it’s another request :man_facepalming:

1 Like

It would be very impractical to upload a new model each time your project is built. Guess you’d have to put something in place so that it only re-uploads when a change is made.

Has anyone managed to get this to work using Javascript/typescript?

I can get it to work with python, but I have a use case that requires JS/TS and it always gives me a 401 error

What library are you using to make http requests? (i.e. node-fetch, axios, got, etc)

Node-fetch through a heroku app

Added support for assets in rbxcloud!

3 Likes

To anyone who has issues using the API I made a tutorial (which the DevForum finally allowed me to post) that you can check out:

2 Likes

Roblox has said somewhere (can’t remember were or it may have been a private channel) that it is on there list of things to do due to high demand/requesting/

1 Like

Hey, I got this working with Node.js using Axios.

1 Like

I ended up getting it to work with Python instead!

1 Like

It’s stated in this thread that this endpoint should serve as an alternative to the 3D importer. Will there eventually be support for setting whether or not fbx models will upload as single or multiple meshes? What is the current default behavior?

1 Like

Current default behavior is the following:

• FBX scene is imported as a single model/package asset
  • The hierarchy under the model mirrors the hierarchy of the scene
  • Each mesh in the FBX will be a unique MeshPart in the model

Examples:

FBX with a single mesh, file is called MyFile.fbx, mesh is called MyMesh

• Package (Model) named “MyFile”
    • MeshPart named “MyMesh”

The returned asset ID will be that of the package. The MeshPart will not be uploaded to your inventory.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.