Introducing Premium Payouts!

Everyone knows Roblox makes more than the developers, how do you think they can stand to devex and pay out to developers in the amounts they do?

This feature is basically, “Hey, get kids to buy Premium from your game, and if they keep playing it we’ll toss you some pennies.” But nevertheless, it’ll help a lot of middle class devs out.

14 Likes

This is such an amazing opportunity for developers, specially for the ones who have no monetization in their games. In my opinion it’ll definitely be a good incentive.

19 Likes

Just saying this, but if you check the developer stats of your game, you will see a new tab called Premium.

4 Likes

you don’t want more robux from people with premium playing your game? you don’t want more players to spend on premium which can increase company income and potentially give us more in devex in the future? the latter seems like a possibility. it’s quite beneficial to us.

:confused:

18 Likes

This is an awesome update. I can definitely see this encouraging more developers to implement special features into their games to gain out of this new update. This is also a new step forward with a newer way that developers can earn.

I can definitely see people will now use premium as a way for ‘VIP’ just to encourage more players with premium to play.

Great update, can’t wait to work with it.

12 Likes

I’m definitely glad to see Roblox introducing more ways for developers to benefit from their work.

However, I think that this looks nice at first glance but won’t actually have significant market impact.

In essence, this is providing an incentive to treat Premium subscriptions as your in-game VIP.
The problem is that the vast majority of games will likely make less from this than if they just sold a VIP gamepass. The payout is determined relative to other games, so most games will not profit as much as a gamepass.

I predict this will fade into something that devs ignore but hope they get an extra buck or two without putting work into.

Adopt Me, Jailbreak, Phantom Forces, Arsenal, and the big games might take home sizable amounts, but I don’t think this affects the average developer. It makes it competitive, and in a contest, most people lose.

EDIT:

I’ll share my stats.

Lua Learning (Often on Front Page Top Rated) combined with Swing (Small for now but gained 300000 visits in two weeks without ads at all) give me a grand total of:
A little over $1 a day.

This is a “rich get richer” feature that doesn’t impact most of us.

EDIT:

Put some more thought into it.

This feature is just a multi-billion dollar corporation asking us to sell their products instead of our own (of which we’d only get 25% anyway). If this is the response to our DevEx megathread, I’m seriously thinking of leaving Roblox. It’s spitting in our face. We asked for more of the pie, and they tell us to sell more pie and then put us in an arena to compete over the crumbs. Not cool. This better not be it.

To be clear, this feature alone is not bad. The fact that it’s their way of avoiding paying creators for their work is the issue.

70 Likes

I like money. Therefore I think I like more money. Money. Money. Anyways developers who dont pitch dev products will now get sum money.

8 Likes

Somewhat, yes. However, I don’t think that Roblox Staff had thought of this as promoting more “Premium Only” games. It does have a few more benefits than the only Membership access type game. To conclude, this is similar to a version of BC-Access Games, but it is mostly trying to promote more business for a Developer to try and get more sales with Premium memberships and for Roblox as well.

5 Likes

I’m not saying that Premium Payouts is a bad thing at all, I’m saying that I’d rather prefer other things to be prioritized first.

Of course this is beneficial to us, and I’ll say that I do not disagree with anything you’re saying right now. Though what you said about:

It’s obvious that anyone will assume this, however no one on Roblox’s end is making any promises. This could just be for other financial costs that they want to cover and have nothing to do with increasing DevEx rates. If it is, good. If not, oh well.

7 Likes

Now just remove the premium requirement to dev ex and it will be a perfect holiday :eyes:

9 Likes

Paid access, VIP servers, dev products, gamepasses, they already had all these ways to make money. What’s adding one way to the already several?

8 Likes

It is in your best interest to create an incentive for your players to have premium because you earn more Robux as a result of their premium membership and playtime in your game. This is why you’d want to prompt premium purchases.

8 Likes

I do agree with you on this. However, I think that this is one of the starts to more even greater updates to help Developers, and rather than with tools, it’s helping us with business in a sense. I’m sure that tools are still being worked on to improve Roblox Studio, and Game Developing in general.

5 Likes

This is my point, if I also am understanding it correctly as money being relative to the top games.

It seems like their goal here is just to reward top games that are already making insane amounts of money - with more money. Which is great and all but probably not very helpful to anyone else.

I’m not against it or anything I just don’t see what their goal is here

17 Likes

Kinda disappointed payouts aren’t awarded to paid access games. I get why it’s done–to keep the player from getting frustrated about so much monetization, and I personally wouldn’t want that either–but premium-exclusive stuff isn’t required to get the payout in the first place. Paid access games in and of themselves are still an incentive for people to purchase Premium and use the stipend to buy the game.

I’d like to see a resurgence of paid-access no-extra-monetization games, but now making a game paid access is kinda like throwing away free money.

That aside, cool feature! Looking forward to using it.

20 Likes

I love this feature already! I love the new advancements Roblox are making to help impact developers on the platform! I am very grateful for how Roblox continues to produce useful updates to help the developers who haven’t (or even have) tried monetizing their games.

1 Like

Yup. I’m happy for those big guys, but this probably won’t even be enough to buy me coffee once a week. :man_shrugging:

We’ll see, I guess.

14 Likes

In a sense, this actually helps Roblox as well. Think of it like this… Developers may add bonuses to a player if they own a Premium membership on the website. If the player does not already own a membership, they may be tempted to purchase a Premium membership, to then get a bonus in their favorite game, like an added on in-game currency bonus, extra item, etc.

7 Likes

Considering this is based off of player’s playtime in different games, I would guess that maybe the rate would be based on time played as an average for either that individual player, or the premium player base as a whole.

4 Likes

Awesome update, promoting premium sales for the platform and allowing developers to benefit from it at the same time! This is the best way to do things.

2 Likes