Introducing Premium Payouts!

+1 to the 2 days of data so far showing about 3% of our game’s income being from this. I am ecstatic about it nonetheless, as these premium players have been playing the game anyway without this feature.

But also, I think we should be very skeptical about any data from this so far and not judge the program as only making 3% yet. Need more data, including weekends

2 Likes

The problem is that I extrapolated the data out to 30 days, meaning that every month it’s only 1-3% of the income overall. If there’s significant change as more data becomes available I’ll let you know.

6 Likes

They’re referring to implementation of premium only features into their games. Being able to gain robux from just visits is a modernized edition of the ticket system we once had. However I fear if the majority refuses to introduce premium related purchases into their games than I doubt this system will be around permanently.

This system will inevitably be abused similar to how tickets were. For example, teleporting multiple premium players to a variety of games under a single account/group to farm robux.

5 Likes

i do hope it does stay around, the old ticket farming method wont really work with this new system as its based on playtime rather then total visits.

1 Like

All of the potential robux are put in a pool and you earn a percentage of that pool depending on how your premium playtime compares to other games.

3 Likes

I did the same.

What I’m thinking is players play longer on weekends and therefore there may be some differentiation from play time compared to weekdays, and we only have the past 2 week days to go off the entire 30 day period

1 Like

Even if the play time is something like 4x on weekends, that wouldn’t help much (85% increase overall). We need a 10x increase for this to even be considered, but I’m still open to the idea that maybe the data is skewed/not ready to be assessed yet. Like I said I’ll update you guys when I have more concrete numbers.

4 Likes

This is hilarious, ridiculous and also incredibly depressing at the same time.

6 Likes

While this is true, I don’t think that such drastic measures are necessary. We’ve protested worse policies in the past and made through. Maybe this sucks but its not worth screwing up Roblox over.

2 Likes

Isn’t Roblox one of those companies with that trendy arbitration clause in their ToS too?

AKA: You can’t sue them directly, you have to go through an arbitrator.

1 Like

The new command in order to add special benefits for premium users will bring some new marketing strategies to the table, and will ultimately assist both the developer and Roblox itself. I have to say that this is a very well executed update.

2 Likes

Premium users already have enough benefits. As a non-Premium user, all I see here is “we’re encouraging developers to add features to their games that you can’t use”. Or P2W (with real money, not just Robux).

Obvious answer is tough luck, no premium. Which is fine. I just wanted to voice a bit of discontent.

3 Likes

The biggest benefit I see from this is the way that ROBLOX is adding a new form of marketing in the form of Better with Premium.

As for the payouts… I can’t complain, although I hope that as we get more data we can see the payout increase for games with higher conversion rates.

2 Likes

If the premium only features are obtrusive, then I doubt the game will continue to be popular for long. Go into any jailbreak server and majority of players aren’t premium. If the features were intrusive they would lose money in the end.

2 Likes

I’m not saying this is a bad thing, but I’m wondering how this will affect games where people go AFK compared to games where someone does not go afk.

Okay, let’s say we compare games like Ninja Legends and Murder Mystery 2.

Usually when you are in a game such as; Ninja Legends. People are usually half the time AFK, and a lot of premium players play this game. Using AC, while buying and selling at the same time.

Then there’s Murder Mystery 2, where you cannot be AFK to be able to play the game.

So, would the other game being Ninja Legends make more because the premium member is afk?

Or am I confused about something?

3 Likes

Does this require advanced scripting skills to implement it into your game or is it a feature that is given to all developers, also do you have yo be part of the roblox developer exchange program in order to take advantage of this feature?

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. If a premium player who pays money to Roblox for their premium membership decides to play a certain game that isn’t as popular over another, shouldn’t that determine where the revenue goes? The system should not prioritize games that aren’t very popular, because the player invested their time in that game their either way, doesn’t matter how popular it is.

1 Like

I think the point he’s making is that, since some devs choose paid access as a way to fund their games without requiring additional income through gamepasses (which some developers abuse, pressuring players with microtransactions), the idea that paid access games are somehow bad game design makes no sense.

1 Like

Yeah but if you make the game non-paid access… you get income just for people playing it. You’re worried about abusing micro transactions yet you’re not even letting people play your game without spending money.

7 Likes

Personally, as a smaller game dev myself, I feel as though if they’re going to push the “Premium” vip, they should slightly reduce the overhead tax (30%) they give us from the jump; at-least to give us a leeway on the profit loss.

3 Likes