Introducing Premium Payouts!

This is awesome, it’s like TIX per visit, but works in other way, the longer Premium Players play our games, the more we earn + if we encourage players to buy premium to able to access some cool stuff, we will get more of those players and Roblox will get earnings from Premium purchases made by those players. Awesome!

4 Likes

I’m looking at the monthly rates that one of the games I work on will earn. Currently it’s around 1-3% of our income. (2-8k players avg online) If the robux earned was around 10x we would now be earning ~25% of our income through this system. Until the numbers get closer to that we don’t really have any way to justify optimizing the game for a premium experience/premium onboarding. Also this is a huge missed opportunity for Paid-Access games…

31 Likes

Bro, you literally just re-iterated what I said to this guy a message or two before haha.

1 Like

I asked in my comment. The payouts should go to the group

Yeah, that sounds a bit off to me.

1 Like

You can advertise premium-exclusive features in your game to attract premium players. You get higher revenue from premium payouts as a result. Both parties win.

Not really. If my game is not big enough to have large amounts of premium users playing it, I’d make more Robux by setting it to pay to access instead. You can’t have pay to access and payouts enabled at the same time.

This would potentially cause profit loss. Back when I made ~100k from a 25 R$ game, it appeared that most people did not have buildersclub.

If I applied this change to that game, I would make significantly less profit.

Roblox added the PromptPremiumPurchase() API, which is to get developers to add in features into their games that require premium. Sounds fine, except that unless the profit coming from premium users is much higher then if I made the game pay to access, there’s no point in doing this and I could argue that it could even cause people to not want to play the game because it disproportionately favors premium members.

If we don’t gain anything directly from prompting a user to purchase premium (assuming they do purchase it) then there is little to earn unless my game has enough premium users playing it frequently enough to make it worth it.

We don’t have exact statistics yet but based on what people have said about what we know so far, this will likely favor the top games and it could be potentially a pointless change for smaller developers.

If a smaller dev or staff member wants to prove me wrong with statistics, go ahead. I’m just saying that it doesn’t look like this is a smart option for smaller developers

EDIT:

@ScriptOn just provided information about how little this would affect his monthly Robux income. Just 1-3% was it? He could easily earn much more by implementing gamepasses and pay to access.

4 Likes

I’d guess it’s a similar idea, but it’s not exactly a tix per visit type of deal.

2 Likes

Eh, not sure i like that.

Having every popular game on Roblox basically saying this: “lol you need premium to use these features” just doesnt sound good to me.

It would honestly annoy NP players like myself. Similar to how Pop-ups try getting people to buy stuff.

( NP = Non-Premium )

3 Likes

I agree with that we should be awarded for prompting, but I don’t how your argument holds up when the feature is something you don’t need to implement. The money you earn from this is very insignificant if you ask me. I have looked at my games, and the money you earn relative to the ratio of premium players is neglible. Again, it is a feature, not a forced upon update.

2 Likes

I’ve made quite a poor ego boosting implementation of the feature which was fun, however it’s a tad bit difficult to test whether it fully works as even using the player emulator it still states I have premium already, so I can’t test the effects of purchasing it.

25 Likes

Well yes, of course it is not a forced feature.

But developers have been demanding better devex rates for years now.

Roblox said that they would use this system instead of better rates and when I hear that a relatively large developer’s game (scripton) would only earn an extra 1-3% a month in revenue from this system I can only laugh.

Sure games with 100,000 players online at all times will make much more, but it’s still somewhat of a letdown and as I said, the major issue is it doesn’t help smaller developers.

I am not accusing Roblox of being greedy, but in this post it’s advertised that developers should use this premium feature instead of gamepasses (even if not directly stated, this is what would happen) and not using pay to access.

This just reduces the revenue for some devs and for others it hardly changes it.

Once developers can see more statistics, and we have had more time to test this, people will probably be more satisfied and if they aren’t I don’t doubt that Roblox would make changes.

However, at this time things don’t look as great for most devs as Roblox has advertised in this post.Therefore I think most people will want to use gamepasses and pay to access instead.

4 Likes

I mean, we all know every dev is gonna add a bunch of “BUY PREMIUM FOR THIS!!” features and possibly pop-ups ingame for that extra cash in next 2 years.

Every developer should earn more, but rubbing Premium in everyone’s face isn’t the way to do this honestly.

I just don’t want everyone to spam these Premium-only benefits on every game just so Roblox can have more Premium users. Roblox isn’t some garbage mobile app with constant advertisements every 2 minutes.

3 Likes

Personally I have two days worth of stats on my game here

I got estimated 600 robux (Yesterday) then 300 robux (today), but the screenshot that shows the demo says 1.2 million robux in a day which is wild. I’m guessing it was a demo or adopt me?

3 Likes

It seems like the typical projected premium payout is around 1% of what the game earns in a day. The concept of a new way to earn robux is neat but as far as I can tell this really is not significant.

7 Likes

As games provide benefits to premium members, the quantity of premium members on Roblox is sure to rise.

This brings up the question; If the payment is based on premium playtime in comparison to other games, rather than flat play time, does this mean games won’t benefit as the number of premium members on Roblox increases? If profits are measured by ratio compared to the top games, the profits won’t increase when the number of total premium players does, because ratio will stay around the same regardless of player count. Ideally, it would simply calculate profits based on individual premium playtime, rather than by ratio of the top games.

If it works how it sounds, the number of premium players will increase and the only one that will benefit is Roblox, not the developers. This is not ok.

4 Likes

Yep. That 1% checks out with my stats today too. I wonder how hard games will push this new feature. I feel like a pushing a premium subscription for my game is cool, but pushing Roblox’s feels very odd, especially for very little reward.

3 Likes

To all those saying “only the top games will gain from this”. my game with around 100 average players made about 200 robux (tax-free!) in the last day. thats not bad at all…

2 Likes

This new feature will be perfect for my up coming projects. I have been looking forward to this type of system on Roblox and here it is!

Thanks Roblox!

1 Like

…Except for when you figure that 200 Robux is equal to 70 cents. In a year that’s only 255 extra dollars. As others are saying, the revenue from this is nowhere near what games are earning from other means so it’s really not worth the time to implement premium benefits or popups except for highly popular games. Looking at your game, you have a lot of monetization and probably make far more than 200 Robux per day off of that, especially with near 100 concurrent players. When my game had 100 concurrent players, we were making ~10-25K Robux per day. 200 is nothing compared to that and that’s why so many people are upset – it isn’t a meaningful way of increasing developer revenue except for top developers.

4 Likes