Introducing Premium Payouts!

Yeah, this too. Encouraging people with premium to play your game via special perks and the like for those with premium is definitely encouraged, going by the announcement.

5 Likes

I love this update, now it helps you make even more robux from your game. And I love the ability to encourage players who play your game to buy premium, I believe this update could be a very good one.

I love how roblox is always seeking for more ways to make anything better for the community. Keep it up Roblox! I canā€™t wait to see what you have next!

1 Like

So games that dime and nickel the player into paying many times are encouraged? Itā€™s really frustrating to see someoneā€™s idea of how a game should be designed being forced onto everyone on the platform via an arbitrary and useless restriction.

The whole point of many paid access games is to reduce the amount of payments that need to be made for an enjoyable experience. This paid access restriction isnā€™t in place to promote ā€œgood game designā€, it exists only to upsell premium to more free users who are unlikely to play paid access games.

73 Likes

A lot of people are praising this update, and Iā€™m no big name developer or anything, but I can see (Along with many others on here) that this isnā€™t good.

As @Ripull pointed out, thereā€™s no reason for developers to prompt a Premium purchase if we donā€™t get a cut. Smaller developers are better off prompting some other purchase (LIKE A GAMEPASS!) that will give them tons more money. @tyridge77 develops this point well. Proportionally based means more money will inevitably go to the top games and leave small developers in the dust.

@buildthomas makes a point that I completely agree with; I donā€™t want to prompt a Premium purchase if Roblox is disproportionally benefited and developers get less than if they were to prompt a gamepass purchase.

I heard something a little while ago about Roblox giving developers the option to create their own subscription services in game. I donā€™t know if this replaces that, but if/when that comes out, there will not be a single reason (For small developers especially) to encourage having premium.

Iā€™m not afraid to say it, I really do not like this. A way to make it more tolerable would be to make it a linear relationship rather than a proportion based on other games, as @vastqud pointed out.

Smart business move by Roblox, but ultimately doesnā€™t do much good for the developer. I appreciate trying to expand developer earnings, but this ainā€™t it.

38 Likes

This is great, Roblox will make more money from premium by giving developers incentive to give players features if they have premium, itā€™s brilliant I like it.

1 Like

More Robux than the what star creators get on commission? Iā€™ll wait to see the data first over a period of time to see if this holds out.

9 Likes

You can literally get paid without making the user pay anything for the game at all.

12 Likes

More for developers to earn, but wouldnā€™t developer encourage premium players to afk inside their game?

I like the idea of premium payouts, but what happens with people if they have lifetime premium? (Like people that bought lifetime builders club)

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of praise going on over this update because ā€œmore money is goodā€. Iā€™d wait and see how it impacts your earnings over the next few months, because as far as I can see, the potential revenue from this feature for small or medium sized Games is just about enough to buy you dinner at Applebeeā€™s.

I think this is a great direction to go, integrating Premium into all sorts of games rather than forcing a player to pay multiple times across different games (overall a better experience for players, as they get to experience many different games and benefit from one subscription). But right now the numbers really donā€™t line up for Developers, so I canā€™t endorse this.

12 Likes

Iā€™d like to know how much robux Roblox would pay us per player we convert into a premium member. Because my intuition says it will not be easy to get many players to buy membership ingame, and memberships arenā€™t super expensive so itā€™s not like roblox could give us a grand amount of money per premium member.
If Iā€™m correct in this, then it might honestly both not be worth my time to push premium on my players and not be worth the way it makes myself appear as a developer.

20 Likes

I love this feature, and all the benefits it can bring for an amazing user experience for Premium Members. I believe the percentage given to games should definitely be higher, and games with Paid Access should be eligible for payouts as well.

ā€œRoblox runs on developers.ā€

4 Likes

First we get the amazing and humorous Bloxy Awards trailer, but now. This. Is. Epic.

5 Likes

The passive income is nice, I donā€™t really see anyone using the upsell modal though, if the reward for having premium is too small in your game, I doubt anyone would buy it, and if itā€™s too big you would likely make more from a gamepass/devproduct

9 Likes

not really, no

its not the same concept whatsoever

3 Likes

As long as youā€™re ordering off the kids menu :eyes:

14 Likes

If itā€™s going to be worth it for us developers to limit features to Premium we need to know that its more worthwhile to limit it to premium instead of just straight up selling the feature.

I guess the only way to know, considering the lack of information provided; is to test. Would be appreciated if more data was provided. Probably going to be a cranky few months of testing.

On another note, I appreciate the initial free, passive income. Also seems like a decent business decision considering most developers will work with ROBLOX on getting users to purchase premium.

But who does it really benefitā€¦?

3 Likes

[EDIT] Roblox has since tripled the original amounts of payouts which has vastly improved this program. Itā€™s now on par with a Dev Ex rate increase if not slightly better. While Iā€™d still love to see Dev Ex increases in the future, this change has mostly settled any concerns I had with the program. I appreciate Roblox and those who worked on this for such a welcome improvement on something I was so skeptical on, and I canā€™t wait to see where this goes!

With respect where itā€™s due, this can only be bad for us Developers. I was told on repeated occasion, even directly by Dave himself, that this feature is what Roblox was doing to increase developer pay INSTEAD of increasing Dev Ex rates.

Originally I held off judgement, since I figured the payouts would be high enough to justify this, but seeing the estimates of what is actually being paid out by this program, with all respect to the people who worked hard to implement this, itā€™s an absolutely pathetic amount.

My game which averages 2k players a day, only projects at best, a 8k Robux payout per month. That is abysmal, when viewed in the light that this is what weā€™re getting instead of an increase in Dev Ex Prices.

Considering that we only get paid 1 dollar, for every 4 dollars a player spends on that same Robux (And this is best case scenario, it can be as bad as a 1/6 ratio in some cases), NOT counting in the 30% transaction fees in between, I can not help but see this system as only extremely bad for developers, as long as itā€™s being used as an excuse not to increase Dev Ex rates.

[EDIT] Even if the 8k robux amount is daily (which I cannot tell for sure based on the chart and wording), that would still only be just over 220k robux a month, which for perspective, equates to about half what the games Gamepasses and Dev Products make per day. Which isnā€™t as absolutely pathetic as 8k robux a month, but itā€™s still an absurdly low amount.

52 Likes

Itā€™s hard to see if this is going to work or not since we do not have any numbers to crunch. I am glad that it is now possible to make some money off of time spent in game, but I just hope that developers do not take advantage of this and begin to make their free games unfair for non-premium players. I have faith but I still feel like the community should tread cautiously. Again, we will need to see the numbers to really understand how this is going to play out.

I still think we need a stipend for non-premium visits but this is a good first step.

1 Like

I think many developers agree, Dev Ex rates should be increased. :+1:

15 Likes

I feel mixed about this feature and I am not sure exactly how it will affect developer teams or my payout in general.

Regardless, I feel like this somehow violates the previously upheld hierarchical nature of microtransactions on the platform. In particular, Roblox has always had platform-wide membership fees for premium features (originally Builders club) and also platform-wide content (the catalogue). In addition to this there are game-specific, developer specified microtransactions (developer products, gamepasses, etc.). Hereā€™s an example of what Iā€™m talking about:

My Point: With Premium Payouts as a new feature, Roblox is incentivizing platform-wide microtransactions within the game-level layer of transactions. Thus, developers are rewarded for catering towards a more ā€œwhaleā€ demographic of users and already successful games will likely increase profit margins and be plugging microtransactions on the platform-level. This seems to decrease the chance of a middle class of developers easily arising and propagates the notion that premium paying users are more valuable than non-premium paying users.

I am not exactly sure how this will affect the current front page of games or the direction of the platform, but I hope that Roblox corporate has looked into potential negative externalities which could arise from these sorts of new monetary features.

14 Likes