Introducing Premium Payouts!

To be frank, how else would Roblox prevent people from botting this? Or just having an alt account sitting AFK with an auto clicker?

5 Likes

Can we possibly get a more clear answer on how much we earn from this other than ā€œItā€™s hard to predict how much youā€™ll earnā€? Itā€™s difficult for me to decide whether I should promote Premium in my game if thereā€™s no clear way that we get paid on this. This whole feature seems very confusing to me.

7 Likes

We actually it wouldnā€™t work because how will you get the bots to buy premium?

1 Like

Exactly. So itā€™s kinda hard to bot something that you have to pay for. Of course people will still try, but Roblox likely will still shut them down.

Premium seems to be the solution. Do you have another idea on how Roblox could minimize abuse of this system?

Premium payouts are very small compared to things like Developer Products. The gain that you would get from making a Premium player afk in your game would probably wouldnā€™t be worth the energy used to power the computer that is idling.

2 Likes

If there isnā€™t any direct benefit to promoting purchase if premium and getting 50 R$ when the user purchases it, then thereā€™s basically no point in using that API, ever.

Iā€™d much rather that a user spends 5$ on Robux to buy my 300 R$ gamepass then have them spend 5$ on premium and me not get any of their money.

But that is hurting someone. It hurts the smaller developers, and you said it yourself. By increasing the payout gap, smaller developers lose out.

Sure, itā€™d be better for everyone if we got commissions when people purchase premium from within game, but regardless itā€™s still going to be more money to the top 20 games even if it isnā€™t what they consider to be fair (fair being better devex rates).

Iā€™m not trying to crap on Roblox for this at all Iā€™m just pointing the following out:

• Roblox is basically saying ā€œwe want you to encourage your players to buy premiumā€

What this means is that they want the player to spend their 5$ on Roblox, not the developers game. If a player purchased premium within my game I earn nothing.

If I gave benefits to premium players I drive away non premium players, so the benefits have to be more mild. But still, its not a whole lot of extra money

The best way for me to make money off of my games is to get people to spend their money on my games as directly as possible.

Like I said, spend 5$ on premium and I essentially get nothing. Spend 5$ on a lot of Robux and spend a lot of Robux in my game and I get more.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s crazy who knew how much Coeptus couldā€™ve made

4 Likes

This is GREAT for new up-and-coming game creators, since they can start with this new method of earning Robux whilst also selling virtual products to their visitors! :clap:

3 Likes

So is it like every 10 minutes played is 1 robux? Is there any guide to this?

7 Likes

The saying ā€œItā€™s too good to be trueā€ with that game it would be Too good to be true to be free.

2 Likes

This reminds me a lot of how tickets used to work

1 tix per a visit
10 tix per a visit at a membership only game

Glad they are re-introducing a similar system in a much more meaningful way, overall great feature

6 Likes

Iā€™m not a fan of roblox premium by any means, making people pay every month so that they can access more features. I hope other developers donā€™t just change their games so that premium players have all the benefits. I like the idea of paying developers for having premium players play their games, but I donā€™t think games should give benefits for premium. Its just moving deeper into pay to win. Also this may possibly overlap vip game passes since players may begin to think ā€˜premium is vipā€™ so in a way itā€™s taking another option from developers such as that emotes update.

1 Like

With respect to those who created this and worked to bring this to life, I donā€™t see this as a viable way.

In my eyes, this seems like another way to upsell premium (almost as an advertisement) in individual games. This concept seems a little bit sketchy as it takes away possible profit that the developer could be making from game passes. This, differs the purpose as to why developers would implement this into their games without receive a far more justified split. The purpose of ā€œpremium playtime scoreā€ seems incredibly complicated and should be removed entirely for a much simpler and straightforward concept that benefits both parties(developers & Roblox) involved. While a valid argument could be made that this benefits top games, itā€™s important to note that most games never reach that level of popularity.

Off the top of my head, a possible solution would be to keep this idea and remove to the 30% or lower the tax on game passes and developer products on non-paid access games or increase DevEx rates to help balance this out.

Cheers!

7 Likes

When it comes to group games, will the payout go to the group, or the group owner?

2 Likes

Weirdā€¦ argument? You benefit from premium payouts even without having to prompt it.

2 Likes

When this was announced at RDC, maybe my interpretation was really off, but it sounded like Roblox wanted to reward a decent amount of the top games (if I remember the number was 300) based on playtime. This seems like it will just be disproportionately giving games with a lot of players like Adopt Me a revenue advantage.

To be clear: Iā€™m completely fine with the fact those games would make more money, it makes sense in my mind. But the teaser at RDC seemed to not have anything matching up with what you guys just put out.

4 Likes

Seems like a great feature especially for new developers looking to fund their projects!

1 Like

Will the type of Roblox membership that you have affect the amount of the Premium Payouts?

6 Likes

Couldnā€™t a player hypothetically obtain all the premium tier items than request a refund? Why should developers be penalized for a flawed system, what penalties would be issued to discourage malicious use of the feature?

Player1 could inform player2 of how to deceive customer service into getting a refund while still having access to premium only items. If this were the case than the only solution is to adapt to a rental business model rather than allow players to obtain items permanently.

This is more of a risk rather than a benefit in my opinion as developers could either gain more with this feature or could gain less overall in comparison to establishing your own membership tier system. While we could remove it any given time had we felt the feature was a mistake on our end, the potential backlash of removing that feature would discourage any developer from doing so.

What Iā€™m mainly conflicted on is how much robux is earned per premium player in the server. According to the chart, to even quality for the first tier weā€™ll have to reach 400,000 to only obtain 10,000 robux in return.

If 1 premium user = 1 robux earned then would the previous premium players be recounted after a set amount of time has passed or would developers be expected to average 400,000 new players in game on a monthly basis to reach tier 1?

1 Like

Great change. Always have been thinking of this.

1 Like