Introducing the Accessory Fitting Tool

Hey @Yozoh, the goal is that you should be able to bring in any kind of character into preview if you intend to make an accessory for that character. I encourage you to try add your character in via clicking the “Add New” button in the Avatar’s tab of the Preview panel and see what happens. Please let me know if you run into any issues, and we can make sure the characters you are trying to bring in are supported. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just discovered this new tool and will be trying it immediately. I have accessories with proper cages, but the avatar importer did not correctly count the triangles of the inner and outer cage and it created errors. Has this been fixed?

BTW, this thread would have more attention (I think) if it were linked to the layered clothing announcement. Maybe I’m the only person who never sees this stuff when it is announced!

3 Likes

The LayeredClothingTemp ma file provied prompts this error in Maya, is there a Maya Plugin tool you guys are using on your end?

And 2 months disappeared just like that! Just checking in, and providing some feedback:

• It’s not supposed to work with R15. It doesn’t. CHECK! This is exactly how R15 stuff fits on my avatar, so looking good!

• It also doesn’t work on the avatar it’s supposed to work on. Where is it??? Can’t find the mesh anywhere.

• The sliders don’t seem to do anything.

I suspect part of the issue is that I use the BodyFrontAttachment for this accessory, not the FrontAttachment. Does that mean I need to delete this avatar and add another? I don’t know. No visual difference.

I can put these accessories together manually with a little trial and error, but they do not stretch to anything. (inner and outer mesh still load with different triangle counts, waiting the new updates on the mesh importer) So… no idea.

1 Like

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to use this? I cant find any

I believe this tool might be breaking the thumbnails to my UGC items, I’ve been using it and so far have been getting complaints about jackets not being able to preview or hiding the player’s profile picture.

Example:

Why this tools i sno t making accesories with “SpecialMesh” component… instead it is using a MeshPart to store Texture ID and MEsh Id… :frowning:

1 Like

Fitting tool recommendation: add a function to align the entire cage without selecting vertices. My current method of maximizing falloff distance can grind Roblox to a halt.

Attempt 2: The pursuit of layered clothing for a custom avatar continues, with today’s adventure in auto-skinning.

First, some good news! I was able to create a green check mark in the WrapLayer

I was able to do this by importing the cage through the beta importer, without skinning. Do cages need skinning? Nothing seems to say.

The result is disappointing. The dress clips through the model, but it is skinned. Like before, it’s still better to use no WrapLayer. Is it doing anything but following skinning? Maybe…

Good news #2:
The problem with the fitting tool is the number of vertices. It’s a memory hog, and I use a high-end machine. 18k vertices grinds it to a halt. I made a new cage, 1700 verts. No one is going to see it anyway, right? This made the fitting tool do more.

Bad News, now the cage does not line up with the dress… and the dress is still nowhere to be seen on the avatar in the fitter. The resulting accessory is affected by the cage location. This is worse than not using the fitter.

In the fitter you can crank up the falloff to maximum and move the whole cage, but I found it easier to adjust the attachment position in Properties. 1700 verts is still heavy lifting for Studio. The accessory can be fixed, but the fitter hasn’t performed… yet! :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it layered? Hard to tell. The top half of the dress is perfect. The legs keep poking through. Unlike a pair of pants though, the dress does not perfectly snap to the legs. Still trying to get 2 accessories to layer. They both still align with the body, not each other. Puffiness does not help!

Moving on to auto-skinning. First attempt, I did not attach an armature to the unskinned dress (loaded via the beta importer). It was a disaster!

Second attempt, with armature (loaded through avatar importer), but no skinning:

I can line it up, but don’t know what to do to get auto-skinning to actually trigger.

Verdict #2: Is the success I’ve found attributed to layering or blender? It still feels like everything I have successfully accessorized was a result of aligning everything and skinning it in blender. I can reproduce alignment, but not auto-skinning. I can get the cages to give me green checkmarks, but I they don’t seem to layer.

Still waiting for skinning in the Beta importer. Still waiting for accurate vert counts in the Avatar importer.

I really want this to work! I feel like I’m close!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.