Introducing the "Avatar Evolution" Studio Beta Build!

That just says the sun, not individual light sources. My post asked when will the individual light sources ie, point, spot and surface lights also change the secular shading of the meshes with custom normal maps on them, because right now the only light source that effects it, is the sun.

5 Likes

In the post I linked, it is implied this will happen in phase 3, as local lights will be receiving the “fib treatment”.

5 Likes

Hope this is added sooner than later, still waiting on a FIB 3 beta test

4 Likes

I love how I’m always thinking about these kinds of things on my own such as how I will create custom models and interpolating between models and applying skeletal-based animations over pose-based animations to my characters. Then I’m worrying about how I am going to have to hand-code all of this in addition to redoing all the collision physics to my custom models. The next thing I know, Roblox decides we’re gonna go work on this and release it to everyone.

6 Likes

I’m still yet to get my mesh imported correctly. I keep being told that there’s no geometry associated with ‘XYZ part’, but it’s defined as a vertex group? Even uploading the lola file says “Unable to find part named ‘Right Eye’”?

3 Likes

Ayy that fixed it, thanks amigo!

Now I’ve just gotta figure out how to bind this to a StarterCharacter and play the animations :v

3 Likes

Oh yeah, we want Wolves Life using mesh deformation soon. This is very exciting for models. Again, this mesh deform feature is very useful for rigging stuffs, even R6.

4 Likes

I have a poor insight into animation, but there is a property of the MeshPart called ‘Deformer’, along with a class MeshDeformer with barely any descriptions other than its instances, the Deformer seems to accept the class ‘MeshDeformer’, which requires a “source_mesh” and a “target_mesh”, they require identical amount of vertex and do not seem to function (unless I am doing it wrong, or its still in development), nevertheless, what are the intended functions for this class? Is it currently operational?

9 Likes

I actually really like the SurfaceAppearances in general.
Will it have the texture (3d Interface) version of SurfaceAppearances? If so, that would be cool!

Here are some examples
(Gif 1 and 2)
https://gyazo.com/d2c6ae66419daec24272cf5da19f046f
https://gyazo.com/c83c9ac165f116d399d7de682f63fcf5

19 Likes

this is the most cursed post on this thread thus far

19 Likes

SurfaceAppearance is only meant for meshes with UV mapped textures, which are rarely tiled. Tiled textures for things like bricks and floorboards are essential, but they’re not part of the goal of SurfaceAppearance. They’re part of the goal of a custom material system which will come out separately later.

2 Likes

Yes, and even if you did want tiling textures you could just stack your UV’s. I am glad this update will increase standards for modelers.

2 Likes

I know this is still in its more early production, but will mesh Shape Keys be supported when this is fully released? Asking because it will be a hugely important feature for animators that are coming from other platforms such as Unity or Unreal, who rely on shape keys to fix weird deformation issues with limbs, animate faces features such as blinking, winking, lip sync and so on…

7 Likes

that woud be really nice to have, but also scale.
the current state of roblox animation importer is not importing the scale keyframes.
i’ve tryed some scale animation and it did not worked.

3 Likes

Will opacity maps ever be an option in ROBLOX?

8 Likes

Things can now look wet and shiny! This is so cool.

24 Likes

Glass with Reflectance in the negatives does some neat stuff too. In general messing with out of bounds graphical transformations is fun and neat.

5 Likes

Unfortunately it’s not very practical as users on the lowest graphics setting won’t be able to see the cool effects.

2 Likes

Can’t you detect low graphics settings and alter your effects accordingly? Or remove effects accordingly?

3 Likes

I see this topic and my mind is already racing

Thank you so much

1 Like