Introducing the "Avatar Evolution" Studio Beta Build!

It will be a good idea if we need shape keys in Roblox.

2 Likes

You could. But then you could ask yourself, “Should I use the effects in the first place?” They are moreorless impossible to recreate on Roblox so not all users would have the same experience and, depending on how your game works, it may have a noticeable negative performance effect.

I think it’s best to avoid going over the reflection limits at all times.

1 Like

I only go over reflection limits with glass for specific purposes. And in theory, yes, the effects could be replicated (point lights and such in odd positions) but eh.

Regardless it’s a cool effect and if you have a LDM in place people will already know that “ok my device can’t run these VFX well, it’ll look a little different”

3 Likes

Beautiful! I can see these new features being very useful for showcases and showcase makers to use. I’ve wanted custom materials, I’m glad surface appearances are here. All these features make Roblox look better than ever.

2 Likes

This sure looks awesome!
But, if you can kindly please help me with Avatar Evolution on how to use, please send me a message of steps on how to use it

Mark

4 Likes

The SurfaceAppearance doesn’t tile the texture, it scales instead.

4 Likes

oh my…
https://gyazo.com/c7d14fcc66858a0d5216ba5a1fd4f5f8

72 Likes

This is so cool I can’t wait! What time of year are these estimated to be released?

1 Like

I believe there is no specific estimated time yet, they may be released at different times. The original post says the following:

1 Like

If anyone is wondering where I’ve got the texture and color maps. I got them from this website.

https://www.textures.com/

(It’s personally my favourite so check it out.)

14 Likes

I haven’t tried out mesh deformation yet. Is there weight painting or are we not there yet?

2 Likes

Are you sure this isn’t weight issues on your part? You might have to repaint weight to properly fit the mesh.

2 Likes

Is it bad that the thing I want the most from avatar skeletons with mesh deformation is just normal blocky avatars but with the abiltiy to bend…? :T

3 Likes

With mesh deformation? Will it require rigs to be done on blender with weight painting? Or is this automatically going to be adjustable through roblox engine?

But the issue is the site has mostly paid textures.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s more royalty free textures websites ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

When I was looking for free PBR materials I found a website called https://cc0textures.com/ which has PBR materials that are public domain.

12 Likes

Textures.com gives you 15 free points every day to download textures, but another resource that is 100% free is Texturehaven. It’s still new-ish and its run by one guy but everything is 100% free and CC0 licensed.

10 Likes

Sure it gives you 15 free points but all you can really buy so many textures. Like I need (1024x1024) or (2048x2048) resolution textures not only for Roblox but other things also. Plus you cannot exploit the system, well you can but you will have to put so much more work into it and at that point, it’s just not worth the waste of time.

2 Likes

Thanks that helps a lot, on top of that they also seem to be seamless/tile-able which is good. :+1:

1 Like