Introducing the Ban API and Alt Account Detection

Does it ban the user from the MAC address?

as we expand this api

this is still in beta bud

Is everyone meat riding a globally traded company this hard now of days?

no but its in beta still soooo

We will see with time.
I doubt it gets any better though.

Hi everyone! We have heard your feedback on the behavior between the DisplayReason and text filtering. Please know the team is actively reading your feedback and coming up with a solution that will create a better experience. We hope to share our thoughts soon.

On another note, I hope to address all unanswered questions soon. It will be a little tough given that (as of the time of writing) there are 426 comments, but I will do my very best.

15 Likes

Thanks for the transparency. Most developer-sided text in Roblox is not filtered so it doesn’t make much sense that the DisplayReason is. Here’s a line up of what people want and don’t want.

• Remove any mention of the creator in the message. Sometimes they don’t do it directly and I could see it leading to be harassment to the creator.

• Maybe let developers show the time themselves? I feel like sometimes you don’t exactly want the person to know how much time. Possibly can be made a bool param to the function.

• PLEASE don’t allow the creator of the game to be banned, it makes no sense.

• Even if you keep the filter in the long run, don’t flat out fail the request and instead just show a default message / pound signs

6 Likes

While you can use alt accounts to test this new ban api, some developers like me appreciate the ability to actually ban ourselves as long as we can unban ourselves atleast from studio.

A plus side of just banning ourselves instead of an alt account is that we have access to developer console to check for prints / errors in game (assuming your game is a solo project with no team members)

1 Like

I’m still wondering if this bans off mac addresses.

2 Likes

I think its IP or device your playing on

Banned users should lose access to rate experiences & denying the user’s join (as many mentioned) via the site/app showing as if the game was private would be nice too.

How does support redirect users to the developers appealing bans for 13< players that don’t have access to social links where appealing is done?

1 Like

Big big agree on this, kids are vicious and will misinterpret this at the first chance they get - which is immediately. I know people who have been subject to multi-year harassment campaigns involving multiple layers of police because they banned a literal 14 year old for something like exploiting. This wording should be very neutral.

“You were banned for X”. No pointing fingers.

3 Likes

If it’s the IP then NordVPN, Mullad, ExpressVpn, etc will be in handy.

If it’s a device ban (PC) then I can spoof the HWID.

1 Like

Well if you have a group, there is always the options of making an alt game to handle appeals or even just a resource center with multiple purposes including the appeals section

Extremely good idea right here, banned users as mentioned should 100% lose access to disliking the experience.
My current project experience’s a ton of dislike bombing from the over 5,000+ exploiters banned from when exploiting was big on the platform and running ramped.

Definitely not a good idea to do this :skull:

Of course, no one is debating the idea of spoofing.

Anything can be spoofed even the best anti-cheats like Vangaurd, EAC and or BattlEye can be spoofed around with relative ease but when we’re talking about a majority, a wide majority won’t be attempting to spoof a ban for a game they just exploited or broke a rule in.

Also positive it wouldn’t be IP because of the amount of player’s that are located in the same house.
I.E Siblings, etc. It has too do with the client’s HWID or combined serials for sure.

they said it was bad because it was using ai, not api

This is awesome! Though I really hate how it says “by the creator” and “Here’s a message from the creator:” It should just say “You were banned from this experience:”

1 Like

Are there any plans to allow us to add custom data?

For example, I may want to save a reason, note and associated evidence (which I can do with the existing DataStore method) but I cannot do that currently.