Introducing the Ban API and Alt Account Detection

Just ignore these appeals… Roblox will be refining their systems. Right now, it is already not great with detecting alt accounts in the first place. The chances of this being an invalid detection is slim, and to have more than a couple people try and appeal as a result of this system seems to off. An influx in appeals tends to happen to most games that detect alts, but the reality is a majority of them are sharing accounts or trying to bypass their original ban.

But hey, if it becomes a problem, just consider if banning is even necessary. What other steps could the game take to punish players without restricting their access entirely? Is alt detection even necessary for less important bans?

1 Like

Gonna be insane to see how the api works, is it based on IP’s? Hardware? Or does it just check friend lists? Does it require specific formatting? Can they be unbanned through the same thing?

This could be insane for simplifying ban systems especially for people who saveinstance games and stuff. Glad to hear you guys implementing something really useful.

1 Like

Did you even read my comment? This isn’t about alt account detection, it’s about likes and dislikes.

1 Like

This new system is bullocks!
I got this account (my main account) TTVkreisikinuski banned, my friends got their accounts banned. EVERYBODY GOT BANNED ON THEIR MAINS!
So thank you very much Roblox, this helps a lot. Glad to see that people need to have fear that will their accounts be wrongfully banned.

1 Like

If this is developer controlled, this creates massive issues with free model backdoors. It would be terrifyingly easy to make a script in a free model that gets everybody terminated.

1 Like

I got banned for trolling on one account, 7 more got terminated (including my main account)
So overall great update roblox

1 Like

I’m trying to detect if a player is banned or not using GetBanHistoryPages but it is returning forbidden, why?

function Ban.GetBan(UserId: number, _value: string?)
	local _success, _banlist = pcall(Players.GetBanHistoryAsync, Players, UserId)
	if not _success then
		error("Failed getting banlist for "..tostring(UserId).." ".._banlist, 1)
		return {}
	end
	return _value and _banlist[_value] or _banlist
end
1 Like

Whatever filter this uses for the ban reason is quite annoying. I’m trying to include an unban date for the user but seems to always trigger the filter and yield an error.

3 Likes

this is goated, probably one of the best roblox updates in recent history!

2 Likes

While this is likely to be exploited it’s a very big step in the right direction for Roblox and will probably take care of a lot of exploiters and rule-breakers

1 Like

This feature sounds great!
I tried it, but theres one issue:
It isnt banning alts.
Did i do something wrong or its happening to someone else?

1 Like

This must have moderator user id in config, otherwise staff managers are unable to find moderator and it will cause problems
And must have an option to not say the moderator’s user in ban message

1 Like

uhm… they talk about it to a very limited degree and really don’t answer the necessary information.

1. It says the rules must be accessible to all users, so I imagine that means it must be in the group or game description? Because if the rules are on Discord, they are not accessible to all users. It says we can only give platforms, such as message me on Twitter or Discord group, however, if the user is under 13, they can’t see the Social links, and therefore they can’t actually do so because you can’t mention the account to contact or give a link.

Going on the vague information provided, it would seem that if we use ban appeals and rules off Roblox on something like Discord, our experiences would have to be 13+, otherwise we will encounter people who could be banned but can not appeal.

(I guess we can also count having the rules in the game, but that still doesn’t change contacting for ban appeals)

1. Nothing about engaging with experiences is mentioned at all.

2. Nothing about managing the suspected alt accounts is mentioned at all.

• My game is ages 9+, so I have no way to tell a user age 9 to 12 how to appeal a ban unless I opened up my messages to all users and that would be insane.

• How bans are handled is also reflective of engagement. Having banned accounts retaliate and downvote the game after getting caught exploiting is rather annoying. Currently, I just leaderboard ban them quietly (they still see themselves, but others don’t).

• Handling alt accounts is important, especially being able to unban a suspected alt that was wrongfully banned. Especially if wrongfully banned players can downvote the game.

1 Like

Maybe Roblox’s system missed your alt and didn’t flag it as a suspected alt?
I’m curious about this myself. Like I live in a house where everyone plays Roblox, so I wonder if we’re all suspected alts of one another.

1 Like

This is great! Been waiting for a feature like this for quite some time! One question though, can you ban people from your game at your own discretion, or does it have to be warranted under Roblox’s TOS?

Say for instance you didn’t want someone in your game for your own reasons, them or their alt accounts, could you choose to ban them or would this be misuse of the API?

1 Like

You can ban anyone you want in your experience, not necessarily forced to be warranted under breaking TOS, but the reasoning however must abide TOS.

1 Like

i would really suggest roblox to do hardware bans since its probably the best way for alt detection

1 Like

So I could ban anyone I wanted, in theory, so long as it wasn’t for say discriminatory reasons, for example?

1 Like

Not sure if this is known yet but it is (somewhat) important to me:

If a banned player joins the game, do they trigger a Players.PlayerAdded event?
I assume not but who knows lol

1 Like

Yes you can, I feel like it’d be abused by alot of devs

1 Like