Introducing the Game Fund

Thanks for the reassurance! I’ll be sure not to disappoint. But seriously, thank you for heading this program, the Game Fund has tremendous opportunity for the platform as a whole.

1 Like

Super cool, might look more into this later down the road

This is an overall thumbs up for Roblox! Even though I don’t meet the minimum age requirements myself, I hopefully will get to experience these games myself along with others in the near future when they are done! I’m looking forward to the games these talented people will be making!

I believe this is a really good way to solve roblox’s current problem of there not being new innovative games and mechanics!

Great job Roblox, keep up the good work! :+1:

This is an amazing program and I feel like it’s going to expand the platform a lot. Just wow.

1 Like

Uh oh…
This is Roblox’s way of getting their own ideas of what Roblox SHOULD BE by incentivizing:

• Multiplayer focus
  • Cross-platform, with mobile optimization in mind
  • Social mechanics as key to the experience
  • In-game avatars that reflect elements of the user’s platform avatar identity
    *> Ability to leverage ‘Metaverse’ items (i.e., that can be equipped on platform avatars, like the ones you buy in marketplace)

Frankly, Roblox could do with a wider range of things. Also:

• Age requirement 18+
  • Details about you and/or your team
  • Short description of your project
  • Pitch deck (high-level strategy, design specifications, etc.)
  • Project milestone schedule and budget

Is it just me, or is that only things that legitimately only professional devs actually can do? Seems like Roblox is trying to create Studios, fund them, and turn them into puppets for what they envision their Metaverse to be. I just don’t like the idea that Roblox can steer their own platform away from the natural and fun direction into a corporate landscape. Oh well. Let’s see how it goes.

6 Likes

Roblox is trying to market itself to an older audience. Higher quality games attract older audiences, and thus attract investors. It’s a really good idea on all three sides, developers, Roblox, and the players.

They want to make sure only professional devs do get this, because of the fact they don’t want to waste 500,000 USD. Also, 18+ is because they’re likely to need to sign a contract. They allow solo devs, too. So they aren’t essentially making puppet states for the country of Roblox, they’re just making sure that these people are dedicated to this to prevent wasting 500,000 USD.

Maybe you can show a drivers license or something? I don’t know about anything else.

The 500,000 USD is so they can make amazing games to really push the limits of the platform. Making games can cost a lot. They’re thinking Adopt Me-size games.

3 Likes

People may disagree with me, but I would rather like them to instead increase the payouts for developers, rather than giving out $500k to some developers. I am happy they are doing this, but again, this is only benefiting some people, not everyone, and I would rather like them to increase the developer percentage by 5% rather than this, I am aware it probably will cause Roblox to have less profits, but I think this would be great as this is a great investment in the platform, that everyone, can benefit, this will likely bring more quality games to the platform, and be more likely new developers would want to develop on this platform. Happy for those who are able to receive the benefits of game fund, but I still hope Roblox will consider about benefiting the entire development community.

1 Like

I agree with your desire for an alternative. I think instead of a Game Fund it would be more effective to have a program with a threshold of requirements. Not significantly high requirements but requirements nethertheless. Like have a specific number of MAU or a specific number of visits. Just something that shows potential for a project.

Then you could sign up for said program and receive better guidance towards improving the game. Perhaps some budget could be advised there as well. Then you’d have games being able to increase their quality over-time through said program. I think this would make it so the program gets more through-put, which also means it could be open to more people.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Game Fund is a step in the right direction. But I do believe there’s still better options.

First off, Woah, Roblox using GAME??
FINALLY EXPERIENCE IS OVER
Anyways, this is awesome!
Cool to see this is being pushed, with that huge budget!

I just think this program should either be very rare, or shouldn’t be prioritized or funded as much, this is money that 99% of developers aren’t receiving, and only 1%.

1 Like

That’s something that Roblox will have to slowly work towards. While there are mature developers on the platform. We’re a minority. There’re more younger developers on the platform that would be the first to take advantage of the leeway that would open up.

I just can’t see anything good coming from that. I think we’ll get there eventually though.

I think Roblox just needs to be like Steam, where Roblox isn’t taking responsibility for the games that are on the platform, sure they could moderate some games that are necessary, but it will be the users fault if they lie their age.

1 Like

The platform itself has to adhere to other regulations and regulatory bodies. Steam is a different type of product than Roblox. So some of the regulations it has to adhere to are different.

You might be right, but Roblox still needs to fix their moderation, and continue their development with allowing for more mature games that they talked previously about.

1 Like

I would like to post something interesting I found while talking with @Abcreator about this.

Developers in 2020 , earned in total $250 million . Now this is 27% of earnings , so Roblox earned around $342,465,753 . Probably more but that’s a rough estimate if Roblox earns 73% . So in total they earn around $592,465,753 . So Roblox would be paying for this example lets say $20,000,000 from this funding. That would be of 4% increase. So this would benefit Roblox development greatly. The 20 million from the game fund is an estimation, but very likely how much Roblox is giving.

2 Likes

You have any evidence supporting your statements? Replies like those usually don’t have any traction without evidence. Speculation is fine, but nothing should be believed until Roblox releases a statement regarding the financials themselves.

One could also argue, that if they did put that funding towards something else like the dev ex rate nothing would change. This program is more so trying to introduce new games and teams. Rather than allowing the same games at the top to profit even more than they already do.

Literally an opportunity at dream games getting created. Other things that could come from the current Game Fund is games that push the platform to its limits and brings new functionality as a result. That being said, I still believe that there are better alternatives.

The $250 million is not speculation, I found it on multiple sources claiming this, and the numbers besides figuring out how much of percentage increase if Roblox are to give 20 million to certain developers in that example, is all correct based on 250 million being the amount given out, and 27% being the developers share, and 73% Roblox share.

I would disagree and think that all studios would benefit, cause likely more developers will put out higher quality games, and the platform would benefit, from not 1-3 games, but instead lets say 30, or more. We are also guessing this program will succeed, this program could fail if the games aren’t as good as we are thinking of them, or finished at all.

I hope this pushes the platform forward, but as you said before, other ways of achieving this.

You cannot just ask for someones drivers license.

That’s why I added a ?. Besides, that doesn’t mean my entire post is wrong.