Introducing the Maximum Framerate setting

Put this in a LocalScript in StarterPlayerScripts. I hope this helps.

local FPSCap = 30 --lets say you set this to 100, if the player cannot reach 100 normally it might look like it's capped at a lower number when it's not
local osclock = os.clock()

while true do
	while osclock + 1/FPSCap > os.clock() do end 
	task.wait()
	osclock = os.clock()
end
4 Likes

I’m curious how giving developers the ability to read (not write) a client’s maximum framerate setting could possibly be abused/taken advantage of.

2 Likes

The easiest argument for this is detail levels and device performance. Developers need a way to see what the client max FPS is set to.

If a client has the max FPS set for 240 FPS but we only measure 20 FPS then some detail levels need to be lowered to bring up the FPS of the client. This can also help with debugging issues in your game. This can also be used as a “generalization” of the device speed. If someone has their max locked at 240 fps, one can expect they must be using a high end device so turning up the detail levels is safer to assume.

Just like the developer can script access what “detail” level the client has set, they should be able to have script access to what the client “max fps” is, just as read-only; to work out game performance planning.

99% of monitors don’t run any faster than that atp, and humans can barely notice a difference above they amount snyway

1 Like

There are 540 fps gaming monitors like people have been saying before, and 360 is the most common for comp.

Hey, any updates to the Maximum Framerate slider being enabled on Macs? Before it was released, when I manually overridden the flag, it works as expected.

3 Likes

How do you override the flag… on Mac? I definitely have, and need support for Mac frame-rate increasing.

I understand that you are aware that these options don’t cover all framerates (I’ve read many of the other comments asking for 75, 165, etc). But while most people wouldn’t find use of this feature, some of us with capable monitors and computers want to (and have been running) ~360fps+ for a long time, and this update felt more like a downgrade, If it would hurt performance too much in games or something maybe just add the unlimited fps feature to studio?? Idk I just want to be able to experience the fps my monitor and computer can output.

What about 30 FPS? It used to be in the Max FPS settings but it no longer is also I had the Max FPS settings before this post but then i lost it and then i got it back

2 Likes

removed due to glitchers

alot of people want this but this won’t happen because the engineers won’t untie the physics from the framerate lol

1 Like

Can we also have an option for 160hz?

Hopefully soon they will allow a customized max FPS rate instead of limiting thresholds. I’m glad this feature was added and we are no longer stuck at 60fps cap anymore.

1 Like

its been very long when will you add this feature for Mac I use a MacBook personally and I am very sad this feature is not available to me and other people who use Mac like asimo3089 or my brother

you can get this feature but it wont work macbooks and other laptop runs 60 fps and that it

Any updates on when this is coming to mac? My MBP supports 120hz, and the third party macOS FPS unlocker works just fine so it’s clearly possible. Wish this was a built in feature.

Roblox just removed that fastflag… great job :+1:

Which FFlag got removed? DFFlagDisableDPIScale or DFIntDebugFRMQualityLevelOverride ? I am not currently aware of any removals to both of these FFlags.

DFIntDebugFRMQualityLevelOverride
Doesn’t work for me anymore. Now changing quality doesn’t change anything .

ClientSettings

"DFFlagDebugRenderForceTechnologyVoxel": "True",
  "DFIntDebugFRMQualityLevelOverride": "1",
  "FIntRenderShadowIntensity": "0",
}

I am experiencing the same issue honestly, I thought they removed the FFlag, however I’ve tried playing on the Roblox client without FFlag modifications and still experienced the same issue. It’s probably due to a recent bug that has appeared since like a week ago or so:-

Now that the feature got rolled out to Macs, I hope Mobile is going to get it next. It will make more sense to bring it to Mobile with 30, 60, 90, 120 FPS options than with the current options in Windows PCs and Macs. Most modern high end Mobile devices come with 120hz screens while lower end ones come with 90hz screens like the one I am typing this with right now (Samsung Galaxy M12), while older devices have 60hz screens. Since a lot of Roblox users have quite older or less powerful Mobile devices that can’t reach or keep a consistent 60fps, but probably can keep a consistent 30fps in most games, it would make sense to support a 30fps option for them.

Edit:- Now that I think about it, I think it would make more sense to just add a 30FPS and a 90FPS cap options in addition to the current options and make the options the same for all platforms. There are also Windows devices that can keep a consistent 30FPS but can’t reach or keep a consistent 60FPS. In addition to that, there are some Windows laptops that have 90Hz screens, so a 90FPS cap option can be useful for them.