Graphics and lighting erroneously render stuck as low or high graphics settings

Several people are reporting issues where the Roblox client is appearing as if the graphics setting is stuck set to low despite it being set to high.

On my end, it appears that the graphics setting is instead stuck set to high. There is no visible changes in changing the setting:

According to the bug report in this post, a similar issue occurred back in 2022.

According to a Reddit post, a similar issue occurred more recently for some 3 months ago:

Expected behavior

In-game lighting and rendering should always match the client’s graphics settings.

31 Likes

I as well as several others are having this same issue.

4 Likes

hopefully the issue gets fixed, i dont really like how the graphics look

3 Likes

I am also experiencing this problem. The bug persists in almost any game I play, and fails to load game assets properly. I tried to replicate this bug in many games, but some of them were unable to even get past the custom developer made loading screen due to the assets not loading properly.
The only way I was able to fix it was to enable automatic graphics then rejoin, and even that did not fix the issue of assets and specific terrain (such as 3d grass) failing to load.

2 Likes

I’m experiencing the same issue. The only thing that changes when switching to full graphics quality are the sun rays, but that happens with a delay of ~5 seconds.

3 Likes

I’ve been experiencing this issue since almost a week ago or so. I really hope that it gets fixed, it’s usually stuck on low graphics quality for me and that results in a horribly low render distance when I mostly play games that requires high render distance. What’s up with the trend of Roblox breaking stuff frequently nowadays :sob:

3 Likes

Yep, I can also confirm this is happening to me too, restarted my computer, reinstalled roblox, even checked my computer’s hardware, only to find out it’s a bug with Roblox.

However, for me its slightly different, it seems to be changing quite constantly, it goes low, high, medium, in all sorts of random orders, weird loop.

2 Likes

same, my graphics are set to low in the game im playing and there’s realistic reflections and all the parts being rendered regardless of distance

doesn’t help that the graphics bug creates a sickly blend of both low and high, the reflections look choppy and blocky, glitchy even

2 Likes

This is the first time it’s ever gone this low, it seems to glitch very fast sometimes as well. This is Plane Crazy by the way.

(Don’t mind it being abnormally overbright, that’s something that only appears when using Windows Snipping Tool for some reason)

2 Likes

this happened to me too. its a huge problem since my low-end computer can’t run Roblox graphics without extremely poor performance and latency issues.

3 Likes

Oh wow, I’m not the only one! I really hope Roblox fixes this soon!

3 Likes

here’s the thing though, even though the graphics renders are stuck at high for me and they’re kind of a blend, i’d like this as a performance option for displaying all parts and preserving lower quality nevertheless

3 Likes

I started having this issue after an update I got today, my Roblox is stuck at the lowest graphics setting despite setting it to the maximum. I can’t see anything a few feet away from me because it wouldn’t render anything further from that, I hope this gets fixed because every game for me is kind of becoming straight-up unplayable.

3 Likes

You can do that now by modifying FFlags and using the FFlag DFIntDebugFRMQualityLevelOverride to do that by setting the value to the graphics quality level in it and so the graphics quality level slider in the in-game menu would instead function as a render distance level adjustor.

But I would really like for this to be added as an official feature and be available for other platforms like Mobile, since you can’t adjust FFlags on them. Also such a basic and a vital feature shouldn’t be locked on behind modifications.

2 Likes

Just got word from my friend on Discord that this is happening to them as well. To my knowledge, their graphics slider was working just fine yesterday. Maybe a Roblox employee turned on an FFlag by accident?

4 Likes

seems like the issue is fixed for me (for now hopefully)

2 Likes

found a temporary solution: use Bloxstrap to change quality settings and lighting to Voxel for all experiences. this does decrease lag but does not provide the original optimization, possibly because of the automatic anti-aliasing

2 Likes

Thank you, Roblox! The problem has been solved.

The bug has been fixed on my end as well.