Introducing the new Creator Store!

Happy with the USD pricing change, creators deserve to be paid more than peanuts for their work. Something like the convenient conversion in the Ad portal however would be an appreciated parallel so creators can use their platform earnings directly to fund development without having to go through devex manually first, or use money out of their own pocket.

19 Likes

Well, To be fair. I have noticed a DRAMATIC improvement in the toolbox.
Used to be that you would search for something specific and you would see the same model copied and pasted for the first few pages.
and now I mostly see unique items.

10 Likes

Agree! The marketplace is way more policed and has less viruses than inā€¦ 2018

9 Likes

This opens up a lot of doors! I could license music through the creator marketplace.

9 Likes

I urge you to provide us as many specific details on what this can look like as soon as possible

I would love to start creating assets for the creator store ahead of the release, the sooner the better! however there are simply too many unknowns as of right now to actually go ahead and start production

core questions I immediately have:

-Will we be able to provide source files (blend/substance files for example)
-Will the models have to be freshly uploaded, or will the ability to enable USD sales retroactively apply to all existing models
-Are there any special content guidelines to be mindful of
-Are there different types of usages for the models we sell

Iā€™m assuming for the most part, itā€™ll function identical how the library has historically operated, but without being told this directly I am concerned to start production.

This is coming from a UGC creator with over 5 thousand accessory uploads and I believe many of my marketplace workflows will seamlessly translate to the creator store as soon as I know the limitations weā€™re working with, and Iā€™m expecting to have potentially hundreds of assets day available day 1 if we get meaningful details in a timely manner

P.S not a fan of the phone requirement

9 Likes

This doesnā€™t sound like a really good update. Everything is working fine as it should, so why change it?

and what would happen to Robux? Are they just useless against these type of purchases? Do I have to pay for 2 seperate Currencies for different assets?

7 Likes

I like a way for model creators to make money, so, I think everything (besides the USD requirment) is fine

4 Likes

i really dont like this. like at all.

I already cannot DevEx because Iā€™m under sanctions, and seeing this makes it further worse for me because then I wonā€™t be able to purchase plugins AT ALL.
Unless there will be a proposal to this to continue purchasing using Robux, I am strongly against this change.
It gets even worse if youā€™re a beginner developer. Youā€™d have to accumulate 30K Robux to DevEx so you can even buy something in the first place (which is not fun! D: )

also it really sounds like we will be phasing out robux.

TL;DR: The move they attempt doing is very controversial and is gatekeeping developers who donā€™t have a debit/credit card AND money to start with, unless a proposal is done to continue supporting robux as an option (e.g. this)

15 Likes

Roblox cannot provide 100% creator earnings while still facilitating transactions through Robux as it would make the creator marketplace a perfect place to launder Robux through while avoiding the 30% transaction fee. Thatā€™s just my opinion though, could be a different reason that Roblox has for it.

7 Likes

Long story short, having the term ā€œmarketplaceā€ overloaded to mean two very different things between the Creator Store aimed at creators and the UGC Marketplace aimed at players caused too much unnecessary friction.

22 Likes

These were user reports most likely. However, I donā€™t think everyone reports an asset after seeing that itā€™s malicious. So the actual number could be a little bit lower. But I still believe that weā€™ve been getting less malicious assets from the toolbox.

6 Likes

This seems like a step in the wrong direction. Yes, it is good that creators earn more, but thereā€™s probably other ways to do this. Being able to purchase assets and plugins with Robux is, especially people outside of the US, the only way some of us have to acquire these things.

I earned my first Robux with commissions, which I saved and invested to repeat the cycle. That is the only way I could the be able to afford plugins because I was <18 years old, and Iā€™m pretty sure it is the same situation with a lot of other devs out there.

Please keep the option of buying assets with Robux, or at least, let us choose how we want to sell them

6 Likes

I think everyone is completely missing the fact that 100% of the proceeds go to you?? Thatā€™s better than Unity and Unreal Engine, incredible change of pace on Robloxā€™s side!

8 Likes

Iā€™m sure you arenā€™t required to make it money only

3 Likes

yeah but then im sanctioned and i cant even devex so it makes it further inconvinient, and so is for new devs. they have to get 30k robux and setup everything just to devex and get the plugins.

Unless Roblox makes a proposal, this is gonna be inconvinience for probably a long while.

4 Likes

Everything here sounds pretty exciting, especially the real world payment so plugin creators can earn more without having to raise the price floor of their plugins to earn something off it. Roblox shouldnā€™t have ever taken a cut off something thatā€™ll obviously give them indirect revenue in the long-run given the much higher incentive to create amazing plugins.

Though thereā€™s one thing I dislike - the removal of Robux as a payment option. Is there any way that Robux can still be a side method of purchasing Creator Store assets? Like the robux/tix options in the past? I donā€™t care if they cost more to make up for the cut that Roblox makes through DevEx.

I know that as a younger developer, I couldnā€™t just ask my parents to buy tons of these plugins for me. I had tons of robux because I could make it without paying for it directly, so I have a bad feeling in my gut that by removing Robux as an option, this will cut out a large percent of creators (especially younger ones) who are able to take advantage of some amazing paid plugins that I know make development so much easier for me.

8 Likes

Iā€™m excited to see the new USD pricing roll out! It should help us create products aimed at professionals and mature audiences which can be more niche and feature-rich without having to deal with the convoluted Robux process and bureaucracy.

9 Likes

I personally bought all the Elttob suite. And I wouldā€™ve bought it if it was more expensive because I know it is worth it. But since I wasnā€™t 18+ when I got them, I probably would have never had the chance to use them if I couldnā€™t have bought them with Robux

7 Likes

Please rethink removing Robux as a payment option, Iā€™m quite certain that a lot of the developer audience will not be able to purchase things from the creator store nor be able to sell things due to the USD requirement.

10 Likes

The main benefit of offering USD pricing is so that you are broken out of the Robux ecosystem so we can offer a different (much lower) overall fee on the transaction, compared to someone buying Robux, buying the plugin, and then cashing that out for the current DevEx ratio.

13 Likes